General Interst Observation

  • nebarry
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2011
      The other day, on a list devoted to theological debate of various types,
      someone posted verses (in Greek, with a translation) from Codex Sinaiticus
      as "the most original text" in order to score a theological point.
      Technology has made this not only possible (it was possible before, with
      enough money), but easy. We may find the individual's text critical naivete
      amusing, but the fact is that the availability of formerly difficult to
      obtain documents is penetrating popular culture.

      N.E. Barry Hofstetter
      Classics and Bible @ TAA
      http://www.theamericanacademy.net
    • schmuel
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2011
        Hi Folks,

        Barry Hofstetter
        The other day, on a list devoted to theological debate of various types, someone posted verses (in Greek, with a translation) from Codex Sinaiticus as "the most original text" in order to score a theological point. Technology has made this not only possible (it was possible before, with enough money), but easy.  We may find the individual's text critical naivete amusing, but the fact is that the availability of formerly difficult to obtain documents is penetrating popular culture.

        Popular culture, though, is fed misinformation the experts.
        This can be seen by looking at the so-called Codex Sinaiticus site, and "See the Manuscript".

        About Codex Sinaiticus
        http://www.codex-sinaiticus.net/en/manuscript.aspx

        An "English translation" is given that is far from Codex Sinaiticus.

        The scholarly community has been totally blasé about the fact that the popular culture is being deceived, as you can see from the non-reaction to the exposure of the deception by Daniel Wallace and others.

        [textualcriticism] CSNTM's - request assistance on Codex Sinaiticus Project misinformation
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/textualcriticism/message/5716

        With this track record (after all, this is the #1 face of Codex Sinaiticus) the textual community should simply be ashamed.  They are the ones responsible for this abomination, since it continues due to their silence.

        Shalom,
        Steven Avery
        Queens, NY
      • Barry H.
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2011
          >The other day, on a list devoted to theological debate of various types,
          >someone posted verses (in Greek, with a translation) from Codex Sinaiticus
          >as "the most original text" in order to score a theological point.
          >Technology has made this not only possible (it was possible before, with
          >enough money), but easy. We may find the individual's text critical
          >naivete amusing, but the fact is that the availability of formerly
          >difficult to obtain documents is penetrating popular culture.

          >Popular culture, though, is fed misinformation the experts.
          >This can be seen by looking at the so-called Codex Sinaiticus site, and
          >"See the Manuscript".

          >About Codex Sinaiticus
          >http://www.codex-sinaiticus.net/en/manuscript.aspx

          >An "English translation" is given that is far from Codex Sinaiticus.

          >The scholarly community has been totally blasé about the fact that the
          >popular culture is being deceived, as you can see from the non-reaction to
          >the exposure of the deception by Daniel Wallace and others.

          >[textualcriticism] CSNTM's - request assistance on Codex Sinaiticus Project
          >misinformation
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/textualcriticism/message/5716

          >With this track record (after all, this is the #1 face of Codex Sinaiticus)
          >the textual community should simply be ashamed. They are the ones
          >responsible for this abomination, since it continues due to their silence.

          Doesn't change my point (though if true it of course needs to be corrected),
          and that is the popular use of information now easily obtained through
          technology (something of an interest of mine ever since reading Jacque
          Ellul's book on technology and its the way it influences society...

          N.E. Barry Hofstetter, semper melius Latine sonat...
          Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
          http://www.theamericanacademy.net
          (2010 Salvatori Excellence in Education Winner)
          V-P of Academic Affairs, TNARS
          bhofstetter@...
          http://www.tnars.net

          http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry