Re: Mk 16:10 and the Gospel of Peter

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2011
      Wieland

      It's hard to say. I have a pet theory that the author of "Gospel of Peter" was aware of 16:9-20, but preferred John 21 (or a document resembling John 21) as a better sequel to the narrative that had been issued personally and directly from John Mark.

      But I did come across something interesting: in the Khabouris Codex of the Peshitta (which is supposed to be an unremarkable medieval copy), according to the transcript at
      http://www.dukhrana.com/khabouris/
      the text of Mk. 16:10 says, "And she went and declared it to them that were with her, who mourned and wept."

      This doesn't really get us anywhere regarding the "Gospel of Peter," but if some very early copy had, in Mk. 16:10, "them that were with her," (instead of the expected "those who had been with him,"), this could account for some parts of the narrative-structure in "Epistula Apostolorum" that are otherwise difficult to interlock with the accounts in the canonical Gospels.

      Has anyone happened to encounter other Syriac MSS with this reading in Mk. 16:10?

      Can anyone here double-check the transcription of Mk. 16:10 at the Dukhrana website?