lectionary query

  • Jean G. VALENTIN
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011

      Dear friends and colleagues,

      After some years of being silent but still reading the messages of this mailing list, I have a question to ask.

      I'm working on Arabic manuscrits of the Gospels and have several projects on this subject, the main one being the critical edition of one of the versions.

      In the meanwhile, I am also doing some work on the lectionaries, and that's where I need your help.

      I would need two things:

      (1) A general, basic, bibliography on the Greek lectionary (text-type, possible families, rubrics etc...) - the kind of bibliography you can't miss to have an accurrate "status quaestionis"

      (2) A specific point: many of my Arabic lectionaries present each pericope followed by a commentary - not really a homily, rather a short commentary that presents the main ideas of the pericopes and explains a few difficult passages. I'd like to know whether the genre "commented lectionary" exists also in Greek, and if suchis the case, whether the author of the commentaries has been identified. Any bibliography is welcome.

      Thank you for any help,

      Jean G. VALENTIN
      Bruxelles, Belgique
      "ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop compliqué est inutilisable"

      "Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car."

    • TeunisV
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2011
        See Parker's introduction, 2008:
        http://www.theintellectual.info/pdf/e-books/An%20Introduction%20to%20the%20NT%20Manuscripts%20and%20their%20Texts.pdf
        P. 57 / 1.3.10.5. Especially the literarature listed (and commented) by Oborn, Aland, Wikgren
        Teunis van Lopik
        Leidschendam, The Netherlands

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Jean G. VALENTIN" <jgvalentin@...> wrote:

        > Dear friends and colleagues,
        >
        > After some years of being silent but still reading the messages of
        > this mailing list, I have a question to ask.
        >
        > I'm working on Arabic manuscrits of the Gospels and have several
        > projects on this subject, the main one being the critical edition of
        > one of the versions.
        >
        > In the meanwhile, I am also doing some work on the lectionaries, and
        > that's where I need your help.
        >
        > I would need two things:
        >
        > (1) A general, basic, bibliography on the Greek lectionary (text-
        > type, possible families, rubrics etc...) - the kind of bibliography
        > you can't miss to have an accurrate "status quaestionis"
        >
        > (2) A specific point: many of my Arabic lectionaries present each
        > pericope followed by a commentary - not really a homily, rather a
        > short commentary that presents the main ideas of the pericopes and
        > explains a few difficult passages. I'd like to know whether the genre
        > "commented lectionary" exists also in Greek, and if suchis the case,
        > whether the author of the commentaries has been identified. Any
        > bibliography is welcome.
        >
        > Thank you for any help,
        >
        > Jean G. VALENTIN
        > jgvalentin@...
        > Bruxelles, Belgique
        > "ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop compliqu� est
        > inutilisable"
        >
        > "Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing
        > in a garage makes you a car."

      • Tommy Wasserman
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2011
          Dear Dr. Valentin,

          I suggest you go to this website with British theses http://ethos.bl.uk/Home.do

          Then register, and search for this title by

          The Textual Tradition of the Gospel of John in Greek Gospel Lectionaries from the Middle Byzantine Period

          from 2010 by Chris Jordan,  University of Birmingham.

          This dissertation is the most recent study, and contains the large introduction you are looking for. You will also find references to other studies.

          Apart from that, see

          Junack K., « Zu den griechischen Lektionaren und ihrer Überlieferung der katholischen Briefe », dans Die alten Übersetzungen des NT, die Kirchenväterzitate und Lektionare, K. Aland, éd., Berlin-New York, 1972 (Arbeiten zur neutestamentlichen Textforschung, 5), p. 498-591.

          And for Catholic Epistles, see

          Amphoux, Christian-Bernard and Jean-Paul Bouhot. La Lecture liturgique des Épîtres catholiques dans l'Église ancienne. Lausanne: Éditions du Zèbre.

          And for Greek Old Testament lectionaries, you can find a lot in publications by Sysse Engberg, e.g., http://www.teol.lu.se/fileadmin/user_upload/ctr/pdf/patristik/MCPL252011.pdf

          Good luck!

          Tommy Wasserman

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2011
            Dr Valentin,

            sorry about my last link - it was incorrect. The study I wanted to refer to was:

            Sysse G. Engberg, « Les lectionnaires grecs », dans Les manuscrits liturgiques, cycle thématique 2003-2004 de l’IRHT, O. Legendre et J.-B. Lebigue, dir., Paris, IRHT, 2005 (Ædilis, Actes, 9)

            It used to be available on-line at http://aedilis.irht.cnrs.fr/liturgie/05_1.htm but I cannot find it there any longer.

            Tommy

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2011
              --- On Mon, 4/4/11, Tommy Wasserman <tommy.wasserman@...> wrote:

              "And for Greek Old Testament lectionaries, you can find a lot in publications by Sysse Engberg, e.g., http://www.teol.lu.se/fileadmin/user_upload/ctr/pdf/patristik/MCPL252011.pdf"

              9 times out of 10--and perhaps even more frequently on this list--when reference is made to "the lectionary" it concerns the NT lectionary. It's good to see at least some awareness here that there is a Greek OT lectionary tradition as well.

              I believe the most up-to-date bibliography on the Greek OT lectionary may be found (among the footnotes) in my article "The Prophetologion: The Old Testament of Byzantine Christianity?" in "The Old Testament in Byzantium," Paul Magdalino and Robert Nelson, eds., Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection: Washington, D.C., 2010.

              James
            • james_snapp_jr
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 6, 2011
                Dear Jean V.,

                I'm glad you're working on Arabic MSS. That text from Luke in CSA that Hikmat Kachouh presented a while ago was really something!

                Since others have already replied about your first question I'll try to answer the second one, about whether a "commented lectionary" exists in Greek. (The 1975 thesis "A Comparative Study of the Weekday Lection Systems Found in Some Greek and Early Slavonic Gospel Lectionaries" by Yvonne Eileen Burns has an extensive bibliography; maybe that would have some useful info.)

                Not as far as I know. But pericope-summaries could be one way to describe some hymns that are sometimes found in lectionaries. The commentaries you've found aren't anything like that . . . are they?

              • James Miller
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 6, 2011
                  --- On Mon, 4/4/11, Tommy Wasserman <tommy.wasserman@...> wrote:

                  "And for Greek Old Testament lectionaries, you can find a lot in publications by Sysse Engberg, e.g., http://www.teol.lu.se/fileadmin/user_upload/ctr/pdf/patristik/MCPL252011.pdf"

                  9 times out of 10--and perhaps even more frequently on this list--when reference is made to "the lectionary," concern is with the NT lectionary. It's good to see at least some awareness here that there is a Greek OT lectionary tradition as well.

                  I believe the most up-to-date bibliography on the Greek OT lectionary may be found (among the footnotes) in my article "The Prophetologion: The Old Testament of Byzantine Christianity?" in "The Old Testament in Byzantium," Paul Magdalino and Robert Nelson, eds., Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection: Washington, D.C., 2010.

                  James
                • chris jordan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 6, 2011
                    Dear Jean Valentin

                    I have come across a few Greek manuscripts with Sunday Gospel lections and a short homily for each one. Since commentaries were read during services (according to liturgical typika) corresponding to the lections it would not surprise me if "commented lectionaries" exist. In my research I did notice a tendency for lectionaries manuscripts to be combined with additional liturgical information necessary for the service so the adding of comments seems possible.

                    Chris

                    To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 6, 2011
                      Dear friends and colleagues,

                      Through familial circumstances I didn't have the time to thank you all for the answers concerning my question on commented lectionaries.

                      I do it now: thank you for all the feed-back, it will be useful.

                      Penetrating the jungle of the Arabic Gospel lectionaries is meeting a new world, a world where much is terra incognita. I hope to give you some interesitng results after some time.

                      Thanks to all and keep posting!

                      Jean V.