Re: PISTEUSHTE in Jo 20:31 P66

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 14, 2011
      Hi Wieland,

      I took the line in question and superimposed PISTEU from the third "words for comparison" you gave. (I used GIMP -- www.gimp.org -- to scale down the PISTEU, make it transparent, and lower its contrast.) Here's the result:

      http://www.tfinney.net/Jo-20-31-P66.jpg

      While the trace of a letter to the left of the intact H is consistent with U or S, I think that considerations of space favour U in this case.

      Best,

      Tim Finney

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 15, 2011

        Thanks Tim and Arie,

        I have updated the file once again.

        Have a look here:

        http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/new-testament-variants-discussion-f20/pisteushte-in-jo-2031-p66-t228.html

        Do you think that a “vid” is justified for PISTEUHTE?

        --------------------------

        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany

        http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie

        Textcritical commentary:

        http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

        Please check out the TC forum:

        http://tcg.iphpbb3.com

      • yennifmit
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 16, 2011
          Hi Wieland,

          I think that your article does a good job of showing the possibilities. I agree with your conclusion that "πιστεύσητε cannot be ruled out completely, but it appears more improbable, because the letters must be written more cramped, especially the Y has to be narrower than usual."

          Concerning whether it deserves a "vid.", as you know, no doubt, "vid." is short for "ut videtur" which means "so it appears" or "so it seems". As I believe it is fair to say that P66 seems to have πιστεύητε here, "vid." is justified (vid.).

          However, "vid.", along with the sublinear dot, is a very rubbery expression. We in the humanities do not have any useful conventions on quantifying uncertainty. You, as a scientist, may feel the same consternation as me when you see assertions made without a robust statement of the associated confidence level. (As you can see, I am on my hobby horse.) I would prefer to see a graded scale like this:

          A = beyond reasonable doubt
          B = preferred option among two viable alternatives,
          C = preferred option among a few (three to five?) viable alternatives,
          D = preferred option among many (more than five?) viable alternatives.

          This roughly parallels the A-D grades used to indicate editorial confidence in preferred readings for the UBS apparatus, a good system (vid.).

          In these days of marked up text, the graded approach is entirely feasible. The above could be marked up like this:

          <choice>
          <option>PISTEUHTE</option>
          <option>PISTEUSHTE</option>
          </choice>

          Rank is implicit if you order the readings according to your perception of their viability. In this case, the algorithm used to select the editor's preferred text would just choose the top word at each choice then calculate a grade based on the number of viable alternatives, in this case "B" because there are only two. One could estimate numbers to indicate viability (e.g. 0.75 for the first, 0.25 for the second) but I prefer not to. These numbers are, after all, pulled out of the air.

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18, 2011
            Tim Finney suggested:
            > A = beyond reasonable doubt
            > B = preferred option among two viable alternatives,
            > C = preferred option among a few (three to five?) viable alternatives,
            > D = preferred option among many (more than five?) viable alternatives.

            I agree, something like that would be helpful.
            The best way would be to illustrate the case with images, so that everyone
            could judge for themselves. Therefore I created the paleography site as a
            companion to the commentary. So far about 80 cases are covered.

            The question is when should a non secure witness be cited? Even if it is not
            secure, people are biased by its citation. Compare Fee and Carson, for them
            P66 was the deciding factor.