RE: [textualcriticism] PISTEUSHTE in Jo 20:31 P66

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 14, 2011

      A. Dirkzwager wrote:

      > In your images EU is written with a high E and a lower U.  So

      > the trace before the H in which you see a part of a small S

      > can be the end of the U.

      > Before my E there is a horizontal line. That could be the

      > horizontal stroke of a T. In your images the T allways is

      > written lower than a following E.

      Thanks, Arie, good suggestions!

      Yes, this is also possible.

      The advantage is that it fits better on the line.

      The disadvantage is that it does not fit so nicely with the other examples of PISTEUSHTE.

      I have posted updated images here:

      http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/new-testament-variants-discussion-f20/pisteushte-in-jo-2031-p66-t228.html

      So the argument is: Since PIS does not fit well at the end of the previous line, and other word divisions are very improbable, it must be at the beginning of the next line. But then the space is too small for the longer PISTEUSHTE.

      Yes, I’m almost convinced.

      --------------------------

      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany

      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie

      Textcritical commentary:

      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

    • A. Dirkzwager
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 14, 2011
        Dear Wieland,

        Thank you !!

        You wrote " The disadvantage is that it does not fit so nicely with the
        other examples of PISTEUSHTE. "

        That is true. But we are not dealing with the probability of the
        original text by John. We are looking for possibilities of what the
        copist of p66 could have done. We all know that copists can be tired and
        are making mistakes. Then the consistency in matters of grammar is less
        important. Leider....

        Arie

        A. Dirkzwager
        Hoeselt, Belgium
        www.dirkzwagerarie.be
      • yennifmit
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 14, 2011
          Hi Wieland,

          I took the line in question and superimposed PISTEU from the third "words for comparison" you gave. (I used GIMP -- www.gimp.org -- to scale down the PISTEU, make it transparent, and lower its contrast.) Here's the result:

          http://www.tfinney.net/Jo-20-31-P66.jpg

          While the trace of a letter to the left of the intact H is consistent with U or S, I think that considerations of space favour U in this case.

          Best,

          Tim Finney

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 15, 2011

            Thanks Tim and Arie,

            I have updated the file once again.

            Have a look here:

            http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/new-testament-variants-discussion-f20/pisteushte-in-jo-2031-p66-t228.html

            Do you think that a “vid” is justified for PISTEUHTE?

            --------------------------

            Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany

            http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie

            Textcritical commentary:

            http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

            Please check out the TC forum:

            http://tcg.iphpbb3.com

          • yennifmit
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 16, 2011
              Hi Wieland,

              I think that your article does a good job of showing the possibilities. I agree with your conclusion that "πιστεύσητε cannot be ruled out completely, but it appears more improbable, because the letters must be written more cramped, especially the Y has to be narrower than usual."

              Concerning whether it deserves a "vid.", as you know, no doubt, "vid." is short for "ut videtur" which means "so it appears" or "so it seems". As I believe it is fair to say that P66 seems to have πιστεύητε here, "vid." is justified (vid.).

              However, "vid.", along with the sublinear dot, is a very rubbery expression. We in the humanities do not have any useful conventions on quantifying uncertainty. You, as a scientist, may feel the same consternation as me when you see assertions made without a robust statement of the associated confidence level. (As you can see, I am on my hobby horse.) I would prefer to see a graded scale like this:

              A = beyond reasonable doubt
              B = preferred option among two viable alternatives,
              C = preferred option among a few (three to five?) viable alternatives,
              D = preferred option among many (more than five?) viable alternatives.

              This roughly parallels the A-D grades used to indicate editorial confidence in preferred readings for the UBS apparatus, a good system (vid.).

              In these days of marked up text, the graded approach is entirely feasible. The above could be marked up like this:

              <choice>
              <option>PISTEUHTE</option>
              <option>PISTEUSHTE</option>
              </choice>

              Rank is implicit if you order the readings according to your perception of their viability. In this case, the algorithm used to select the editor's preferred text would just choose the top word at each choice then calculate a grade based on the number of viable alternatives, in this case "B" because there are only two. One could estimate numbers to indicate viability (e.g. 0.75 for the first, 0.25 for the second) but I prefer not to. These numbers are, after all, pulled out of the air.

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 18, 2011
                Tim Finney suggested:
                > A = beyond reasonable doubt
                > B = preferred option among two viable alternatives,
                > C = preferred option among a few (three to five?) viable alternatives,
                > D = preferred option among many (more than five?) viable alternatives.

                I agree, something like that would be helpful.
                The best way would be to illustrate the case with images, so that everyone
                could judge for themselves. Therefore I created the paleography site as a
                companion to the commentary. So far about 80 cases are covered.

                The question is when should a non secure witness be cited? Even if it is not
                secure, people are biased by its citation. Compare Fee and Carson, for them
                P66 was the deciding factor.