Introduction & sample TC problem

  • bucksburg
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2005
      Hello Everyone,
      I'm Daniel Buck, a linguist specializing in comparing Bible versions
      for use in Scripture publication. I've read all the posts on this
      forum and am working through the thousands of posts on the tc-list.
      This has been a very enlightening experience for me, and I'm finally
      at the point where I've had more questions answered than raised.

      I'll admit right up front that I believe both in inerrancy and
      divine preservation, which prejudices me against dismissing the
      majority of MS readings as spurious. At the same time, I've gained a
      deep respect for the scholarship of those who prefer Alexandrian
      readings to Byzantine; however, I'm a bit at a loss as to what
      constitutes the sum of Alexandrian readings, as it seems that no one
      has yet collated all the Alexandrian mss against an Alexandrian text-
      -a task that should be a couple orders of magnitude easier than
      collating all the Byzantine readings against a Byzantine text, which
      has at least been attempted (although van Soden, it appears,
      actually used the TR as his collating base).

      The examples I've seen discussed show how truly difficult it can be
      for an eclectic approach to come up with a definitive answer to any
      textual problem--which helps to account for what I've notice among
      the hundreds of eclectic-text Bible versions I've partially collated
      against the TR: it doesn't seem that any two of them use exactly the
      same textual base. Even the TNIV makes quite a few textual changes
      over the NIV, as if the state of textual scholarship had changed
      that much in 30 years.

      It must be spring break or something right now, as nothing much is
      happening on this forum. This has given me the opportunity to mull
      over what I've read and think about how to put it all into practice
      in a way that could be empirically tested for validity.

      So I've been on the search for a sample passage that could be used
      for practicing the various approaches to textual criticism. I didn't
      care for the highly contrived example at
      http://www.earlham.edu/~seidti/iam/exercise.html, so I've come up
      with two or three real-life possibilities:

      1) The United States Constitution. I'm told that there are now at
      least 13 different text-types in print, all varying by nothing more
      than punctuation, capitalization, and the presence of updated
      spelling. This would be a good document to study from the "Majority
      text" position, as there are millions of copies in thousands of
      editions, over a time span of centuries. The best part is, after all
      the criticism is done, one has the luxury of traveling to the
      National Archives and collating his text against the autograph.

      2) A good text to study from the "Eclectic Text" position would be a
      selection from "Anguish Languish" by Howard L. Chase, originally
      published in 1956 and now out of print. Like your typical
      Alexandrian MSS, it doesn't adhere to the usual conventions of
      spelling or grammar. In fact, it is as different from Standard
      English as Koine is from Attic. It would be interesting to use
      internal evidence (there being no great mass of MSS to compare) to
      extract the archetype, before hunting down a copy of the book to
      check one's theory for validity.

      I give here three versions, all of which I pulled off the World Wide
      Web. I have also seen this text in print on the back cover of a
      Mother Earth News magazine in the 1980's, and I probably even have a
      facsimile of it somewhere in my files.

      The first text contains a colophon of sorts, in brackets, as I found
      it on the web page cited. The second text was found on a web page
      that also provided an audio of the same, which itself differed from
      the visual text. This turned out to be very useful in simulating the
      changeover from Uncials to Cursives, with the corresponding increase
      in information content of the text (breathing marks, accents,
      terminal forms, etc). The first text actually seems to be almost the
      same as the audio version, except that it has a few phrases the
      audio version ommitted (h.t.?). At any rate, I leave it for another
      scholar to collate. At the end of the post is my collation of the
      second visual text and its alleged audio counterpart, for which I
      have yet to find a visual exemplar (apparently the scriptaurium
      where it was produced destroyed their exemplars after recording them
      to audio).

      WARNING: This text may be as hard for you to read in Anguish as NT
      texts are for me to read in Greek. I suggest you imagine yourself in
      a scriptorium, reading the text aloud for transcription. It may help
      to have a fellow scholar actually write down the text as you read
      it, letting your intonation overcome the misspellings (unlike p66,
      every single word is misspelled). Note also that the text has been
      wrapped in this cyberfacsimile.

      Text # 1: directly from
      http://members.aol.com/jbjanguish/anglangx.htm#ladle

      [This introduction, of uncertain source, is provided by Dave
      Bialosky and slightly mollified by your eagle-eyed editor.

      "Hairs anulled furry starry, toiled hint otter worts, worts welcher
      alter girdle diffident form once hint regional virgin."]

      Wants pawn term dare worsted ladle gull hoe lift wetter murder inner
      ladle cordage honor itch offer lodge dock florist. Disc ladle gull
      orphan worry ladle cluck wetter putty ladle rat hut, end fur disc
      raisin pimple caulder ladle rat rotten hut.
      Wan moaning rat rotten hut's murder colder inset: "Ladle rat rotten
      hut, heresy ladle basking winsome burden barter an shirker cockles.
      Tick disc ladle basking tudor cordage offer groin murder hoe lifts
      honor udder site offer florist. Shaker lake, dun stopper laundry
      wrote, end yonder nor sorghum stenches dun stopper torque wet
      strainers."

      "Hoe-cake, murder," resplendent ladle rat rotten hut, end tickle
      ladle basking an stirred oft. Honor wrote tudor cordage offer groin
      murder, ladle rat rotten hut mitten anomalous woof.

      "Wail, wail, wail," set disk wicket woof, "evanescent ladle rat
      rotten hut! Wares or putty ladle gull goring wizard ladle basking?"

      "Armor goring tumor groin murder's," reprisal ladle gull. "Grammars
      seeking bet. Armor ticking arson burden barter end shirker cockles."

      "O hoe! Heifer blessing woke," setter wicket woof, butter taught
      tomb shelf, "Oil tickle shirt court tudor cordage offer groin
      murder. Oil ketchup wetter letter, an den--O bore!"

      Soda wicket woof tucker shirt court, end whinny retched a cordage
      offer groin murder, picket inner widow an sore debtor port oil
      worming worse lion inner bet. Inner flesh disc abdominal woof lipped
      honor betting adder rope. Zany pool dawn a groin murder's nut cup
      and gnat gun, any curdle dope inner bet.

      Inner ladle wile ladle rat rotten hut a raft attar cordage an raker
      dough ball. "Comb ink, sweat hard," setter wicket woof, disgracing
      is verse. Ladle rat rotten hut entity bet rum end stud buyer groin
      murder's bet.
      "Oh grammar," crater ladle gull, "Wart bag icer gut! A nervous
      sausage bag ice!"
      "Butter lucky chew whiff, doling," whiskered disc ratchet woof,
      wetter wicket small.
      "Oh grammar, water bag noise! A nervous sore suture anomalous
      prognosis!"
      "Buttered small your whiff," inserter woof, ants mouse worse
      wadding.
      "Oh grammar, water bag mousey gut! A nervous sore suture bag mouse!"

      Daze worry on forger nut gull's lest warts. Oil offer sodden throne
      offer carvers an sprinkling otter bet, disc curl an bloat Thursday
      woof ceased pore ladle rat rotten hut an garbled erupt.

      Mural: Yonder nor sorghum stenches shut ladle gulls stopper torque
      wet strainers.

      Text # 2: directly from http://www.exploratorium.edu/exhibits/ladle/

      Wants pawn term, dare worsted ladle gull hoe lift wetter murder
      inner ladle cordage, honor itch offer lodge, dock, florist. Disk
      ladle gull orphan worry putty ladle rat cluck wetter ladle rat hut,
      an fur disk raisin pimple colder Ladle Rat Rotten Hut.

      Wan moaning, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut's murder colder inset. "Ladle Rat
      Rotten Hut, heresy ladle basking winsome burden barter an shirker
      cockles. Tick disk ladle basking tutor cordage offer groinmurder hoe
      lifts honor udder site offer florist. Shaker lake! Dun stopper
      laundry wrote! Dun stopper peck floors! Dun daily-doily inner
      florist, an yonder nor sorghum-stenches, dun stopper torque wet
      strainers !"

      "Hoe-cake, murder," resplendent Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, an tickle
      ladle basking an stuttered oft. Honor wrote tutor cordage offer
      groin-murder, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut mitten anomalous woof.
      " Wail, wail, wail ! " set disk wicket woof, "Evanescent Ladle Rat
      Rotten Hut! Wares are putty ladle gull goring wizard ladle basking?"

      "Armor goring tumor groin-murder's," reprisal ladle gull. "Grammar's
      seeking bet. Armor ticking arson burden barter an shirker cockles."

      "O hoe! Heifer gnats woke," setter wicket woof, butter taught tomb
      shelf, "Oil tickle shirt court tutor cordage offer groin-murder. Oil
      ketchup wetter letter, an den - O bore!"

      Soda wicket woof tucker shirt court, an whinney retched a cordage
      offer groin-murder, picked inner windrow, an sore debtor pore oil
      worming worse lion inner bet. En inner flesh, disk abdominal woof
      lipped honor bet, paunched honor pore oil worming, an garbled erupt.
      Den disk ratchet ammonol pot honor groin-murder's nut cup an gnat-
      gun, any curdled ope inner bet.

      Inner ladle wile, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut a raft attar cordage, an
      ranker dough ball. "Comb ink, sweat hard," setter wicket woof,
      disgracing is verse. Ladle Rat Rotten Hut entity betrum an stud
      buyer groin~murder's bet.

      "O Grammar !" crater ladle gull historically, "Water bag icer gut! A
      nervous sausage bag ice!"

      "Battered lucky chew whiff, sweat hard," setter bloat-Thursday woof,
      wetter wicket small honors phase.

      "O Grammar, water bag noise! A nervous sore suture anomolous
      prognosis!"

      "Battered small your whiff, doling," whiskered dole woof, ants mouse
      worse waddling.

      "O Grammar, water bag mouser gut ! A nervous sore suture bag mouse!"

      Daze worry on-forger-nut ladle gull's lest warts. Oil offer sodden,
      caking offer carvers an sprinkling otter bet, disk hoard hoarded
      woof lipped own pore Ladle Rat Rotten Hut an garbled erupt.

      Mural: Yonder nor sorghum stenches shut ladle gulls stopper torque
      wet strainers.

      A COLLATION OF THE AUDIO AND WRITTEN VERSIONS OF AN ONLINE FAIRY
      TALE BY H.L. CHASE
      A=Audio version (mrg)
      W=Written version (txt)

      Wants pawn1 term, dare worsted ladle gull hoe lift wetter murder
      inner ladle cordage, honor itch offer lodge, dock, florist. Disk
      ladle gull orphan worry putty ladle [rat] cluck wetter2 ladle rat
      hut, an fur disk raisin pimple colder Ladle Rat Rotten Hut.

      1 pawn: conjectured as "ponder"
      [A omit 'rat']
      2 A add 'puddly'

      Wan moaning, [Ladle] Rat Rotten Hut's murder colder inset. "Ladle
      Rat Rotten Hut, heresy ladle basking winsome burden barter an
      shirker cockles. Tick disk ladle basking tutor cordage offer
      groinmurder hoe lifts honor udder site offer florist. Shaker lake!
      Dun stopper laundry wrote! [Dun stopper peck floors! Dun daily-doily
      inner florist], an yonder nor sorghum-stenches, dun stopper torque
      wet strainers !"

      [words omitted by A]

      "Hoe-cake, murder," resplendent Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, an tickle
      ladle basking an stuttered oft. Honor wrote tutor cordage offer
      groin-murder, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut mitten anomalous woof. " Wail,
      wail, wail ! " set disk wicket woof, "Evanescent Ladle Rat Rotten
      Hut! Wares are1 putty ladle gull goring wizard ladle basking?"

      1 A or

      "Armor goring tumor groin-murder's," reprisal ladle
      gull. "Grammar's seeking bet. Armor ticking arson burden barter an
      shirker cockles."

      "O hoe! Heifer gnats1 woke," setter wicket woof, butter taught tomb
      shelf, "Oil tickle shirt court tutor cordage offer groin-murder. Oil
      ketchup wetter letter, an den - O bore!"

      1 A blessing

      Soda wicket woof tucker shirt court, an whinney retched a cordage
      offer groin-murder, picked inner windrow1, an sore debtor pore oil
      worming worse lion inner bet. [En] inner flesh, disk abdominal woof
      lipped honor bet, paunched honor pore oil worming, an garbled erupt.
      Den disk ratchet ammonol pot2 honor groin-murder's nut cup an gnat-
      gun, any curdled ope inner bet.
      [A omit]
      1 A widow
      2 A worming,'an adder rope. Zany poured'

      Inner ladle wile, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut a raft attar cordage, an
      ranker dough bell1. "Comb ink, sweat hard," setter wicket woof,
      disgracing is verse. Ladle Rat Rotten Hut entity betrum2 an stud
      buyer groin~murder's bet.

      1 A ball
      2 A bet rum ('betrum' is apparently a defect of the W text-type)

      "O Grammar !" crater ladle gull historically, "Water bag icer gut!
      A nervous sausage bag ice!"

      "Battered lucky chew whiff, sweat hard," setter bloat-Thursday
      woof, wetter wicket small1 [honors phase].

      1 A whiff, 'doling,' whiskered disk ratchet woof, wetter wicket
      small.
      [A omit]

      "O Grammar, water bag noise! A nervous sore suture anomolous
      prognosis!"

      "Battered1 small your whiff, doling," whiskered dole2 woof, ants
      mouse worse waddling.
      1 A buttered
      2 A doling, 'inserter'

      "O Grammar, water bag mouser1 gut ! A nervous sore suture bag
      mouse!"
      1 A 'mousey

      Daze worry on-forger-nut [ladle] gull's lest warts. Oil offer
      sodden, caking1 offer carvers an sprinkling otter bet, disk hoard
      hoarded2 woof lipped own2 pore Ladle Rat Rotten Hut an garbled
      erupt.

      [A omit]
      1 A thrown
      2 A disk 'curl on bloat-Thursday woof ceased'

      Mural: Yonder nor sorghum stenches shut ladle gulls stopper torque
      wet strainers.
      I'll save the third possibility for another time.
      Daniel