Re: [textualcriticism] Re: A Feature in Aleph at Matthew 2:6

  • George F Somsel
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2011
      Hosea 11.1 is the logical referent

      11

      When Israel was a child, I loved him,

      and out of Egypt I called my son.

      george
      gfsomsel

      … search for truth, hear truth,
      defend the truth till death.

      - Jan Hus
      _________

      From: Jeff Cate <Jeffcate@...>
      To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, February 23, 2011 11:16:41 AM
      Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Re: A Feature in Aleph at Matthew 2:6

      I've been intrigued by the (mis)attribution of OT citations that sometimes happens in mss and versions of Matthew... and often it's to Isaiah.

      Regarding Mt 2:15, I've wondered why the NA27 lists Num 23:22; 24:8 along with Hosea 11:1 in the margin. The wording in each of those passages from Numbers is simply "God brings them/him out of Egypt" without words such as "son" or "called" that are part of Matthew's quote. There are other passages in the Torah LXX besides Num 23:22; 24:8 that use the expression "out of Egypt" with God (or the LORD) as the agent who does this (e.g., Exod 13:8, 9, 16; 18:1, etc.) without using the words "son" or "called." So maybe I'm overlooking something obvious, but why did the NA27 editors choose to list Num 23:22; 24:8 without listing other passages?

      Just the other day, I was reading in Eusebius EH about the death of James (EH 2.23). Eusebius (quoting Hegesippus) quotes Isaiah 3:10 in EH 2.23.15... at least, it's verbatim the same except a different verb is used in the first half of the quote (compared to Isa 3:10 LXX). Kirsopp Lake (translator of the Loeb edition) noted, "The first part of the quotation is from the Wisdom of Solomon, not Isaiah." That intrigued me as another possible example of a misattribution of a quote to Isaiah. But on closer examination, I'm not sure why Lake noted this. This closest quote I can find in Wisdom is 2:12. And the first half of Eusebius's quote (of Hegesippus) is identical to Wis 2:12 except for the verb (just like Isa 3:10), but the second half of the quote is identical to Isa 3:10, not Wisdom... and Eusebius (quoting Hegesippus) attributes this to Isaiah. So if both halves of the quote match up with Isaiah and only the first half with Wisdom, I'm not sure why Lake noted that the first part of the quote is from Wisdom, not Isaiah. But I digress...

      Jeff Cate
      Riverside, CA