Re: [textualcriticism] 1 Timothy 3:16 - Elliot & Moir - "credal hymn .. early manuscripts .. printing it in poetic form"

  • schmuel
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2011
      Hi Folks,

      Steven

      Elliot & Moir
      > .....   the credal hymn clearly reters to Christ.
      (Obviously the early  manuscripts did not separate
      >  the second half of verse 16 in the way most modern editions
      do, *printing it in poetic form*.)

      Steven
      >  Does anyone know of a single manuscript in existence, early or
      late,
      > any language, that matches the claim that 1 Timothy 3:16 was printed > in "poetic form" ?

      Who makes this claim?
      Jeffrey

      Ahh, thanks Jeffrey.

      Elliot & Moir wrote a bit ambiguously and I was slow on the pickup.  I do not look at "most modern editions" and my Bible editions use the normal verse structure. In the context of the discussion I thought Elliot & Moir were supporting the idea that it was a creedal hymn, but rather they were sort of backwards alluding to the lack of historical textual-hymnal evidence for the theory.  Since that textual theory was originated by Griesbach, as far as I can determine.

      Shalom,
      Steven Avery
      Queens, NY