Re: MS 1241 - How Byzantine in Mark ch. 1?

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2011
      Hi Jim and Wieland,

      It seems that 1241 is like Chrysostom's text in Matt:

      http://www.tfinney.net/Views/dc/Matt-UBS.15.SMD.png

      In Mark, 1241 separates from central members of the Byz cluster at a distance (or dendrogram "height") of about 0.35 (disagreements per variant phrase -- a pure number):

      http://www.tfinney.net/Views/dc/Mark-UBS.5.SMD.png

      Sigma and 1243 separate at about the same distance.

      These dendrograms are based on initial parts of the UBS4 apparatus of Matt (first 14 chapters) and Mark (first five chapters). Being from UBS4, only a sample of variant phrases is included. More comprehensive data would give higher levels of agreement, translating to lower "heights" at which separations happens.

      Unfortunately, I don't have data which includes 1241 for Luke and John.

      If you prefer to look at distance matrices rather than multivariate analysis results, the closest neighbor of 1241 (among those sampled) is 157 in Mark and 0233 in Matt:

      http://www.tfinney.net/Views/dist/Matt-UBS.15.SMD.csv
      http://www.tfinney.net/Views/dist/Mark-UBS.5.SMD.csv

      Best,

      Tim Finney