RE: [textualcriticism] Some TC related PDFs from archive.org

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12 1:03 AM
      Kevin W. Woodruff wrote:
      > Tov's work as well as Wurthwein's, and Anderson's work are
      > still under copyright, so these works have been posted there
      > in contradiction of US copyright law.

      Yes, but apparently nobody cares about that.
      We had discussed this before with respect to Krans' book, which is there too and also the Ehrman books. Archive.org was alerted months ago about it, but nothing happened.
      Someone from an Islamic/Moslem background seems to got hold of the PDF versions and uploaded them.

      --------------------------
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical commentary:
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
    • james_snapp_jr
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13 10:09 AM
        Wieland,

        The 1910 "Specimina Codicum Graecorum Vaticanorum" by Cavalieri/Lietzmann is terrific! What a nice book, crammed with depictions of manuscripts of various sorts which illustrate script-variations and headings and all sorts of interesting things.

        It's a lot like Metzger's "Introduction to Palaeography." Really, really nice. Thanks!

        Meanwhile, I've encountered a couple of paper-and-ink books: the British Library's "Bible Manuscripts: 1400 Years of Scribes and Scripture," and "Sacred: Books of the Three Faiths - Judaism, Christianity, Islam." There's not much here that is technically useful for NTTC studies, but there are lots of pretty pictures. If you have "Bible Manuscripts" (by Scot McKendrick and Kathleen Doyle), then as far as NT stuff is concerned, you don't need "Sacred." They share several of the same pictures. "Bible Manuscripts" has more about late copies of the Vulgate, and "Sacred" has more about copies of the Quran.

        "Sacred" is an exhibit-book; the BL exhibit is described
        http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/features/sacred/homepage.html

        "Sacred" includes a false claim on p. 74. The author, referring to an Armenian codex, BL Add MS 21932, says, "Like all Armenian manuscripts before the thirteenth century, it omits the so-called 'longer ending' of Mark, or verses 9-20 of chapter 16." It is not true that all Armenian MSS before the thirteenth century omit Mk 16:9-20. How do these people keep making these easily checked mistakes??? (Should I have high expectations? This is from the same British Library that includes, on its website, the following statement: "Several gospels had been written by disciples of Jesus during the centuries following his death, but only four were authorised by the Council of Nicaea in 325 for inclusion in the Christian Bible.")

        In "Sacred" there is a nice picture of a page from the Mercian Prayer Book on p. 185; the writing on this page is part of the story of Jesus and Abgar. I'd read about that but hadn't seen it before anywhere.

        Also in "Sacred," two pages of BL Add MS 39603, the London Cruciform Lectionary (which is probably going online soon if it is not there already) are shown on p. 200. The description says that this is one of only four known such Gospels-lectionaries. Anybody know what are the other four?

        And, in the trivial-details-department, in "Sacred," on p. 209, there's a photo of St. Catherine's monastery. The campanile looks different -- shorter -- than in other pictures I've seen.

        It's easy to see "Sacred" on a bookshelf and not know what it's about; the jacket is all black, with nothing but the title on it.