Re: Codex Boernerianus

  • AndysDad
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24 6:39 AM
      Sorry I can't reply in more detail, but my computer crashed just as
      I was ready to send. For now all I can give is the scribal doodle
      from the bottom of a page in 1 Corinthians (you can view it at
      http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=91):

      In Old Irish:
      Techt do Róim, mór saítho, bec torbai. In rí chon-daigi i foss,
      manim-bera latt, ní fogbai.

      Gloss:
      (going * to * Rome / a great deal * of hardship * little * of
      profit / the * king * that you seek * there / if not him - you carry
      * with you * not * you find)

      In Standard English:
      Going to Rome--much hardship, little profit.
      You won't find there the king you seek, unless you take him with you.

      There's more to the inscription than that, but I know not Old Irish.

      By the way, the bilingual interepistolary segues in G also provide
      insight into the interpretation of the Greek aorist as an English
      present (as virtually all translations do anyway in Matthew 3:17).
      --Andy's Dad