Re: [textualcriticism] [Byz] KAI AI ADELFAI SOU in Mark 3:32

  • Jonathan Borland
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2011
      Dear List,

      Sorry, but I had intended this message for a different list. In response to George, however, a critic more likely would have removed the expression precisely because it was considered superfluous, as you rightly point out. That should become internal reason #5 for the authenticity of the expression, which Tischendorf, von Soden, Merk, Bover, and many older editors also reasoned was original on impressive internal grounds that merely corroborate the reading of most manuscripts.

      Sincerely,

      Jonathan C. Borland

      On Feb 11, 2011, at 1:50 AM, George F Somsel wrote:

      More logical than supposing that omission of ἀδελφαί might be due to omission by homoioteleuton or by harmonization with the preceding would be to simply accept that only ἀδελφοί was used.

      The pl. can also mean brothers and sisters (Eur., El. 536; Andoc. 1, 47 ἡ μήτηρ ἡ ἐκείνου κ. ὁ πατὴρ ὁ ἐμὸς ἀδελφοί; Anton. Diog. 3 [Erot. Gr. I 233, 23; 26 Hercher]; POxy 713, 21f [97 a.d.] ἀδελφοῖς μου Διοδώρῳ κ. Θαΐδι; schol. on Nicander, Ther. 11 [p. 5, 9] δύο ἐγένοντο ἀδελφοί, Φάλαγξ μὲν ἄρσην, θήλεια δὲ Ἀράχνη τοὔνομα. The θεοὶ Ἀδελφοί, a married couple consisting of brother and sister on the throne of the Ptolemies: OGI 50, 2 [III b.c.] and pap [Mitt-Wilck. I/1, 99; I/2, 103–7, III b.c.]). In all these cases only one brother and one sister are involved. Yet there are also passages in which ἀδελφοί means brothers and sisters, and in whatever sequence the writer chooses (Polyb. 10, 18, 15 ποιήσεσθαι πρόνοιαν ὡς ἰδίων ἀδελφῶν καὶ τέκνων; Epict. 1, 12, 20 ἀδ. beside γονεῖς, τέκνα, γείτονες; 1, 22, 10; 4, 1, 111; Artem. 3, 31; Ptolem., Apotel. 3, 6; Diog. L. 7, 108; 120; 10, 18. In PMich 214, 12 [296 a.d.] οἱ ἀδελφοί σου seems to be even more general=‘your relatives’). Hence there is no doubt that in Lk 21:16 ἀδελφοί=brothers and sisters, but there is some room for uncertainty in the case of theἀδελφοί of Jesus in Mt 12:46f; Mk 3:31; J 2:12; 7:3, 5; Ac 1:14.

      Arndt, William, Frederick W. Danker and Walter Bauer. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, s.v. ἀδελφός. 3rd ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000.

       It really wasn't necessary to state separately that the sisters were present since the one word could include both.  I am reminded of a statement regarding something similar by a native Spanish speaker to the same effect.

      george
      gfsomsel

      … search for truth, hear truth,
      defend the truth till death.