Re: [textualcriticism] Error in UBS4 apparatus for Mark 6:33

  • Richard Mallett
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 7, 2011
      Reply to : David Hindley
      > Hi Richard,
      >
      > Ahh, the old Compuserve forum days (mid 1990's), when everyone
      > identified themselves and carried on civil discussions. I learned quite
      > a bit about astronomy from you as well.
      >
      > Yes, I saw your follow-up post to Steven Avery, and looked at Tim
      > Finney's web pages, although I'm not yet sure what they signify.
      >
      > My concern here is that variant #5 below is a compound variant (I may
      > have just invented that phrase). The phrase "kai sunhlqon pros auton" is
      > added to another specific variant "kai prohlqon autous" (#1). The
      > additive words are not paired with the other variants #2 "kai proshlqon
      > autois", #3 "kai sunhlqon autou", #4 "kai hlqon autou", or #6 simply
      > omit any of variants #1-#4. There is nothing to have prevented the
      > additive phrase from appearing without any of the first 4 variants
      > appearing at all, but it does not.
      >
      > So, my guess would be that minuscule 157 reads variant #5 below, and
      > serves as a witness for both #1 and for the addition of the phrase "kai
      > sunhlqon pros auton" after varient #1 and variant #1 alone.
      >
      > Respectfully,
      >
      > Dave Hindley
      > Nerton Falls, Ohio USA

      Yes, it all depends on how finely one breaks down the component parts.
      I remember reading somewhere that, depending on how finely one breaks up
      the component parts, some NA readings are not supported by any MS (of
      course, the same would apply to the TR for example)

      Sorry my Greek typing didn't come through (at least for me) - it does in
      emails, but obviously not in Yahoo. II will have to transliterate in
      English letters. Thanks also to the mods for correcting the subject
      line for me :-)

      Richard Mallett
      Eaton Bray, Dunstable
      South Beds. UK