TC in the BT

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2011
      In the latest Bible Translator are two articles dealing with
      textual criticism:

      1. N. Mundhenk
      "The Limits of Textual Criticism in Bible Translation"
      BT 62 (2011) p. 30-36

      2. K. Gadilia
      "Filling some gaps: Notes on the history of Georgian Bible
      Translation"
      BT 62 (2011) p. 46-53

      The last one is especially interesting since our knowledge
      about the origin of the Georgian version is slim. From what
      I understand the current research points to a translation
      from the Greek, and not from Armenian or Syriac.

      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical commentary:
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
    • james_snapp_jr
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2011
        Wieland,

        I must track down Gadilia's article. /How strongly/ does the current research point to a translation of the Gospels from the Greek and not from Armenian or Syriac? I think everyone grants that the Georgian version was *conformed* to a Greek base-text by Euthymius, hundreds of years after the Old Georgian version had been initially produced.

        But initially *translated* from a Greek text?? How does Gadilia explain the seed-sellers in the Old Georgian in Mt. 21:12 and Jn. 2:15?