Conference in Lausanne in August 2011

  • Claire Clivaz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2011
      Dear all,

      We organize in Lausanne (CH) at the end of the summer an international conference in Humanities:
      «From Ancient Manuscripts to the Digital Era. Readings and Literacies»
      Lausanne (CH), 23rd-25th August 2011

      The conference will welcome interdisciplinary lectures, as well as half-days focused on diverse fields: New Testament, Early Christian Literature, Antiquity, Modern History, English Literature, French Literature, Humanities and Computing.
      We will notably have an half-day on : “What kind of digital edition of the New Testament do we need ?”

      The main purpose of the conference is to demonstrate the major impact of the Digital Era on knowledge, by studying the history of cultural technologies. The present evolution of the Ancient manuscript allows one to detect this turning-point, notably with the digital editions of Homer and the New Testament. The notions of authorship and critical edition will be questioned : modern history and contemporary analysis have to be enrooted in ancient memory to reflect upon the digital revolution. A public evening will conclude the conference on the 25th August with a round-table: «What will come after the book?». Please click on this link to see the complete argument.

      Speakers: Giovanni Bazzana (Harvard, USA), David Bouvier (Unil, CH), François Bovon (Harvard, USA), Claire Clivaz (Unil, CH), Michel Fuchs (Unil, CH), Christian Grosse (Unil, CH), Philippe Kaennel (Unil, CH), Frédéric Kaplan (EPFL, CH), Thomas Kraus (independant researcher), Rudolf Mahrer (Unil, CH), Jean-Yves Mollier (IEC, Versailles), Leonard Muellner (Brandeis University, USA), David Parker (Birmingham, UK), Holt Parker (Cincinnati, USA), Lukas Rosenthaler (Basel, CH), Ulrich Schmid (Münster, DE), Paul Schubert (Unige, CH), Holger Strutwolf (INTF, Münster), François Vallotton (Unil, CH), Christian Vandendorpe (Ottawa, CA), Joseph Verheyden (Leuven, BE).

      A call for papers is open until the 30th April 2011 in New Testament, Early Christian Literature, Antiquity, Modern History, English Literature, French Literature, Humanities and Computing. In the various fields, papers dealing with the following are looked for :

      1. History of reading, of ancient and modern literacies, with reference to written, oral and visual technologies in cultural communication.

      2. The challenges and possibilities presented by the digitalisation of ancien manuscripts and modern texts.

      3. Analysis of the transformations entailed by the digital culture in these fields of study.

      Specific call for papers : “What kind of digital edition of the New Testament do we need ?”

      Claire Clivaz, University of Lausanne (CH)