Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Palmer's Lulu book on ligatures

  • Daniel Buck
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
      "If you have a GNT like the NA-27 or the Robinson/Pierpont"

      If one is studying ligatures in minuscule manuscripts, Robinson/Pierpont is going to be a whole lot more useful than NA-27 in following along through the text. R/P is actually based on the minuscules; NA27 is based on the majuscules (uncials and papyri). Where the text of a minuscule departs from R/P, it is highly unlikely that it will follow NA27. Outside of Revelation, it's more likely to follow the TR.

      Daniel Buck

    • David Robert Palmer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
        Gary,
        Thanks for your feedback on this.  Does this mean you purchased a copy?

        I will be talking with you about this again.

        Dave

        Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 11:00 AM
        Subject: [textualcriticism] Re: John 8:6 - Palmers book sale

        Mr. Palmer,

        Your book contains some copies of some medieval Greek ligatures
        or shorthand. A nice collection, but numerous older texts have better
        and more extensive samples.

        Thus, why sell this? Why not make it freely available if it indeed helps beginners? Some of your ligature samples are only seen in printed texts, and not in actual manuscripts. Many common ligatures seen in the manuscripts are not seen in your copy. I guess I am surprised that you are selling this! Had it been an extensive work on your behalf, and had actual references to actual manuscripts, then charging for others to see it may be justified. But not what I have seen in the sample pages! I have not seen all 55 pages, but what I have seen does not move me to want to pay to see more. Convince me otherwise. Mixing printed ligatures with manually produced one's may create more confusion. Much better would be the addition of the manuscript or manuscripts which actually have the ligature, even a copy of the actual image/text, then also categorizing them per date! Now that would be worth $7.00.

        Sincerely,
        Mr. G. S. Dykes

        > Here is
        a 55 page reference on Greek ligatures for beginners:

        href="http://www.lulu.com/product/file-download/quick-reference-greek-ligature-guide/14355821">http://www.lulu.com/product/file-download/quick-reference-greek-ligature-guide/14355821

        > David Robert Palmer

      • David Robert Palmer
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
          Gary, I just now realized that you sent your mail to the whole list.

          Well, I guess I disagree about it being worth 7 dollars.  Really, is that much money?  I know people who spend that much every single day on coffee.

          Anyway, I don’t receive the 7 dollars, but only a fraction.

          I’ll have you know I did about 5 months work on that book.  I also paid hundreds of dollars for Adobe Acrobat so I could make that book.  And there is nothing like it available anywhere else, and it is worth what I am charging for it.  And it is what beginners need.  If there was something better available, I would have already bought it (probably for $30) and would never have complained about the price.

          Feel free, Gary, to work 5 months on a replacement book that is as good as mine, and then give it away.

          David Robert Palmer

          I do happily recommend my ligature book/download.  The link:

          Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 11:00 AM

[...]

        • daniel_josiah_mount
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2011
            [EDIT: This thread is now closed! ---Wie]

            David,

            For future reference, you can create PDFs for free with OpenOffice.org, an easy-to-use free office suite comparable to Microsoft Office. If you need more fine-tuned controls, you can go with Scribus (http://www.scribus.net).

            Of course, this doesn't change the fact that you spent hundreds of dollars to create this one, but hopefully you can save that money in the future!

            Daniel J. Mount