seasonal thanks

  • mydogregae01
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2010
      Greetings y'all,

      I thought a note of thanks would be appropriate. We all know of the level of quality of the Google books scanned and those via Archives. We are thankful for the productions. Though some of the books are not scanned at high levels. Consider Mill's Greek New Testament. It is about 810 pages. A basic scan would be about 250,000 bytes per image. This would yield a total file size of about 200 MB. The resulting images would be typical for such sites, some of the small text would be hard to read, a few of the small sigla would be confused. But then much of the text would be readable. It would then be preserved digitally. Yet such important works deserve more. Imagine a nice full color high resolution reproduction!! One wherein all of the text is clear and sharp. Such a reproduction would be worthy of its important contents.

      Few books are so scanned at sufficient resolution to be true digital reproductions. The file sizes would be prohibitive. Imagine the 810 pages of Mill's Greek New Testament reproduced at such a good resolution. Why the results would be multi - gigabytes!! Very large. But yet that is exactly what is required to really produce a truly readable quality reproduction. A single file of nearly 8 gigabytes!!
      Now thats large.

      How would YOU like to post such a large file on the Internet? Imagine paying for such a large single file and keeping it posted!! Well...

      The Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts (www.csntm.org) how done just that. They have a tremendous reproduction of all of Mill's glorious work displayed FREELY for anyone to view or download. Now I know that many of you are aware that Mill's work has been available for several months now at the CSNTM. But have you considered the logistics in just producing such a fine reproduction and keeping it up on the Internet? Have YOU considered the cost of just keeping this one file posted for any and all to freely use??
      How about hundreds of such files??

      As this year ends, I ask you to consider regularly supporting such important work. You can donate to the effort. Do consider doing so. We all thank you....those of us in Mexico, Japan, Serbia, Russia, Canada, and all over the globe. Consider supporting this costly effort to carefully reproduce such texts and important manuscripts, at such quality. [note, I am not a part of the CSNTM site] I just appreciate their effort and I support it. How about you?

      Mr. Gary S. Dykes
      have a Merry and safe New year.
    • Jonathan Borland
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 19, 2010
        On Dec 20, 2010, at 2:49 AM, mydogregae01 wrote:

        They have a tremendous reproduction of all of Mill's glorious work displayed FREELY for anyone to view or download.

        -----------------------------------

        Not exactly. The prolegomena and very important appendix to Mill's edition is omitted in the CSNTM reproduction. I hope one day it will be included!

        Jonathan C. Borland
      • mydogregae01
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2010
          -Yes, Mr. Borland, this is sadly true. However, in looking over the total amount of data well presented on the whole site, aren't you concerned with the gigantic cost? Hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes for your viewing use and pleasure. My point being they require support.

          Gary

          Mr. Borland wrote:

          > Not exactly. The prolegomena and very important appendix to Mill's
          > edition is omitted in the CSNTM reproduction. I hope one day it will
          > be included!
          >
          > Jonathan C. Borland

        • Daniel B. Wallace
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 21, 2010
            I have asked our staff to check our files to see why we did not post the appendix. Most likely, it was because we did not have any real policy on posting books that differed from posting manuscripts. If we photographed the appendix, we will post it. We shoot the entire book as a rule in the last few years, and this particular Mill was a pristine copy of the 1707--very rare. CSNTM has also recently acquired Bruce Metzger's Mill, which may supplement what we have posted. We're looking into it. I appreciate the comments that both of you have made. CSNTM is in need of quite a bit of funding to end the year in the black and to pay for upcoming expeditions.

            Daniel B. Wallace, PhD
            Executive Director
            www.csntm.org

            > -Yes, Mr. Borland, this is sadly true. However, in looking over the total amount of data well presented on the whole site, aren't you concerned with the gigantic cost? Hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes for your viewing use and pleasure. My point being they require support.
            >
            > Gary
            > >
            > Mr. Borland wrote:
            >
            > > Not exactly. The prolegomena and very important appendix to Mill's
            > > edition is omitted in the CSNTM reproduction. I hope one day it will
            > > be included!
            > >
            > > Jonathan C. Borland

            ----- End Original Message -----
          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 24, 2011
              CSNTM has recently uploaded the entirety of Mill's 1707 Greek New Testament, including the prolegomena and appendix. The images can be accessed via the Center's website at http://www.csntm.org/printedbook/viewbook/JohnMillNovumTestamentum1707.

              Jeff Hargis
              Field Director
              www.csntm.org