Re: Vetus Latina Iohannes Update

  • hughhoughton
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 14, 2010
      Dear James,

      Yes, that's the correct article.

      Of course, samples are, as you say, only samples, but Fischer's data is pretty extensive. He took four passages of around one chapter in length from each Gospel, so that's 16 passages spread throughout all four Gospels (around one-fifth or one-sixth of the total). In terms of analysing these passages for block mixture, have a look at what I did for VL 11A in JTS in 2009 ("A newly-discovered Old Latin manuscript...").

      The next stage is, as you say, a full transcription of Forojuliensis; I'm not aware of any further resources.

      It seems unlikely to me that RTL will issue Gryson's article on the Gothic in English; Carla Falluomini is currently working on the Gothic versions and might be able to help with any English-language queries you have.

      Best wishes,
      Hugh Houghton