Re: Vetus Latina Iohannes Update

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2010
      Dear Hugh,

      Thanks for that information. I'm afraid I'm not a subscriber to ZNW so I can't immediately read the article on pp. 119-144 of issue 101 to which you referred. It's "Die Lateinischen Evangelien bis zun 10. Jahrhundert. Zwei Untersuchungen zum Text," right?

      Sampling test-passages has always seemed like a provisional shortcut to me. Here in Indiana there is something called Smuckers Goober-Grape, a combination of delicious peanut butter and jelly, both contained in a single jar, arranged in alternating slices of peanut butter and jelly. Samples from the peanut butter parts would indicate that the whole jar contains nothing but peanut butter; samples from the jelly parts would indicate that the whole jar contains nothing but jelly. Block-mixed.

      If a manuscript like Codex Forojuliensis had a pure Old Latin section outside Fischer's test passages, how would we know? The whole thing needs to be compared to the Stuttgart Vulgate (or some other Vulgate) to draw a real conclusion. I'll try to track down that issue of ZNW; in the meantime, do you know of any other resources that have more information about Codex Forojuliensis?

      And, speaking of Roger Gryson: is there any chance of having his 1990 "La version gotique des evangelis. Essai de re-evaluation" re-issued in English? (If I had it in a text-file I would be glad to feed it to Google Translate myself.)

    • hughhoughton
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 14, 2010
        Dear James,

        Yes, that's the correct article.

        Of course, samples are, as you say, only samples, but Fischer's data is pretty extensive. He took four passages of around one chapter in length from each Gospel, so that's 16 passages spread throughout all four Gospels (around one-fifth or one-sixth of the total). In terms of analysing these passages for block mixture, have a look at what I did for VL 11A in JTS in 2009 ("A newly-discovered Old Latin manuscript...").

        The next stage is, as you say, a full transcription of Forojuliensis; I'm not aware of any further resources.

        It seems unlikely to me that RTL will issue Gryson's article on the Gothic in English; Carla Falluomini is currently working on the Gothic versions and might be able to help with any English-language queries you have.

        Best wishes,
        Hugh Houghton