quick question

  • jefflisap
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2010
      Can anyone tell me what gig stands for? It is in the NA27 apparatus at Acts 17:27 as D (gig) and D* (gig). I looked in the intros to NA27 and Metzger for an answer, but I couldn't find it. Thanks.
    • Matthew Burgess
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2010
        If memory serves, the symbol "gig" stands for Codex Gigas, the famously large Latin manuscript that dates to the twelfth century (occasionally known as the "Devil's Bible" because of a demonic illustration that occupies an entire page of the manuscript). It's listed in the indices of Nestle-Aland under "Codices Latini." However, I believe that it is only cited as a witness in the Acts of the Apostles and the Book of Revelation, because it contains an Old Latin text in those books; elsewhere it follows the Vulgate.

        Matt

        -------
        Matthew Burgess, MAR
        Department of Religious Studies, University of Virginia
        Box 400126
        Charlottesville, VA 22904
      • TeunisV
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2010