Umlauted Footnote in B in Mt 5?

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2010
      Just now I was investigating a comment that Jonathan Borland had made in the comments at ETC about a reading in Mt. 5 (I'll try to get back to you about that, Jonathan!) when I happened to come across something in B that might be interesting. Or it might be nothing.

      Underneath the second column of the page that begins in Mt. 5:25, there is a note or scrawl of some kind. It is at the very bottom of the page. (There is another scrawl, with an overline, of some kind below the first column, but it's this second one that looks interesting.) I can't make it out, at least not today. Anyway, it looks like it is preceded by two dots, side by side -- i.e., a distigma or umlaut. Any ideas?

      (Also, it looks like there's offprinting (?) on this page, toward the bottom. Has anyone done any study to see what it says?)

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2010
        Looks to me like shine-through from the verso, p. 1239.

        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        Textcritical commentary:
        http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
      • james_snapp_jr
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2010
          Wieland,

          Yup; looks that way to me too now. Oh well. Um . . . what is all that, anyway? Something that looks like a trikle is on p. 1239 in the third line of the note, between the first and second columns.