Re: [textualcriticism] New Cairo Genizah book

  • Harold P. Scanlin
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
      Thanks for the information on this new book. I look forward to reading it.

      Despite the publisher's blurb, "This is the first accessible, comprehensive account of this astounding discovery," there is another book by Stefan Reif, the director of the Genizah Research Unit at Cambridge, which provides an excellent overview, focusing primarily on the Cambridge collection -- A Jewish Archive from Old Cairo (Curzon, 2000). List members will probably be particularjy interested in Reif's chapter 5, "Wholly for Bible."

      Harold

      Harold P. Scanlin
      41 Waldheim Park
      Allentown, PA 18103
      harold.scanlin@...
      610-791-9146

      On 11/2/2010 4:54 AM, Wieland Willker wrote:

      Sounds interesting:

      Rabbi Mark Glickman
      "Sacred Treasure - The Cairo Genizah"
      The Amazing Discoveries of Forgotten Jewish History in an Egyptian Synagogue
      Attic
      288 pp
      color & b/w photos, Hardcover
      ISBN 978-1-58023-431-3
      $24.99

      Blurb:
      "Indiana Jones meets The Da Vinci Code in an old Egyptian synagogue-the
      amazing story of one of the most important discoveries in modern religious
      scholarship.

      In 1896, Rabbi Solomon Schechter of Cambridge University stepped into the
      attic of the Ben Ezra Synagogue in Cairo, Egypt, and there found the largest
      treasure trove of medieval and early manuscripts ever discovered. He had
      entered the synagogue's genizah-its repository for damaged and destroyed
      Jewish texts-which held nearly 300,000 individual documents, many of which
      were over 1,000 years old.

      Considered among the most important discoveries in modern religious history,
      its contents contained early copies of some of the Dead Sea Scrolls, early
      manuscripts of the Hebrew Bible, and other sacred literature. The importance
      of the genizah's contents rivals that of the Rosetta Stone, and by virtue of
      its sheer mass alone, it will continue to command our attention
      indefinitely.

      This is the first accessible, comprehensive account of this astounding
      discovery. It will delight you with its fascinating adventure story-why this
      enormous collection was amassed, how it was discovered and the many lessons
      to be found in its contents. And it will show you how Schechter's find,
      though still being "unpacked" today, forever transformed our knowledge of
      the Jewish past, Muslim history and much more."

      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical commentary:
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/