Number of Unique Words per Book

  • scottallenrauch
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2010
      Hello,

      I am reading a book written in 1900 wherein the author, Benjamin Wisner Bacon, states there are "seventy-four words found only in 1 Timothy, forty-six more found nowhere but in 2 Timothy, twenty-eight more nowhere but in Titus, …."

      This _seems_ like a disproportionate number of unique words, but I have no intelligent reason for saying so.

      Can someone direct me to a study wherein a count of unique words per book is documented? A tabulation like the following seems reasonable to me:

      Book Number Number of Words Found
      Name of Words * Nowhere Else in the NT *
      Romans ??? ???
      * Word counts exclude names of individuals.

      I frequently come across statements like Wisner's, and I think it would be helpful if readers were also told something like, "In contrast, the seven undisputed books of Paul average only one unique word per xxx words. Thus, 1 Timothy has xx times the number of unique words that one would expect from Paul's other writings."

      Thank you,
      Scott
    • talmidim@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2010
        Scott
            This article may be  of  help:

        Epistles to Timothy and Titus

        MB

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
          MB,

          I can't thank you enough! Excellent article! Perfect! By using actual data from the NT, Septuagint, and Shakespeare(!) it showed I didn't have any intelligent reason for my _feeling_.

          Scott