Re: [textualcriticism] Irenaeus in Greek (or Latin)

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2010

      Sources Chretienne series has an edition.  Not sure about online.

      Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2010
        Download from the internet archive: http://www.archive.org/index.php

        Frank Polak

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 22, 2010
          Ken,

          The book survives in a Latin translation preserved by several codices. Tertullian also quoted from book 1 in his book Against the Valentinians.

          Desiderius Erasmus edited the editio princeps of Latin Irenaeus in 1526 (IRENAEUS, SAINT OPUS ERUDITISSIMUM IN QUINQUE LIBROS DIGESTUM, IN QUIBUS MIRE RETEGIT & CONFUTAT VETERUM HAERESEON IMPIAS OPINIONES, Basel).

          There were several subsequent editions published over the years, but the most notable are:

          Joannes Ernestus Grabe published an edition of Irenaeus in 1702 (CONTRA OMNES HAERESES. LIBRI QUINQUE. Textus graeci partem exiguam restituit; Latinum Versionem, Oxoniae). It included the Greek text of book 1 preserved by Epiphanius, and some other fragments of this and other books from Eusebius and other church fathers.

          Réné Massuet re-edited Grabe's edition in 1710 (Tou en agiois patros hēmōn Eirēnaiou episkopou Lougdounou, kai martyros, elenchou dai anatropēs tēs pseudōnymou gnōseōs biblia pente = Sancti Irenaei episcopi Lugdunensis et martyris, Detectionis et eversionis falso cognominatae agnitionis, seu, Contra haereses libri quinque, Parisiis) and added a few more Greek fragments.

          W. Wigan Harvey's edition, _Sancti Irenaei episcopi Lugdunensis Libros quinque adversus haereses_ in 2 volumes, 1857, is considered the best. This included the extensive Greek fragments found in Hippolytus. He also includes a pretty extensive commentary and introduction about gnostic sects and where they may have got some of their ideas.

          vol 1 http://books.google.com/books?id=Wi8XAAAAIAAJ&dq=intitle%3ALibros%20intitle%3Aquinque%20intitle%3Aadversus%20intitle%3Ahaereses&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false (mind the wrap)

          vol 2 http://books.google.com/books?id=8IMOAAAAQAAJ&dq=inauthor%3Awigan%20inauthor%3Aharvey&pg=PR1#v=onepage&q&f=false (ditto)

          Respectfully,

          Dave Hindley
          Newton Falls, Ohio USA

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 25, 2010
            Thank you all.  These links are what I was looking for.  A few quick observations for future inquirers.  Harvey's 2 vol. editions have great introductory material and footnotes in English while Frank's 3 link below is to Bibliotheca.Sanctorum Patrum, 2nd series, 3rd volume all in Latin.  Both editions highlights biblical quotations B.S.P. with <<  >> and Harvey's with italics.

            Thanks again - Ken