Re: Pericope Adultera in Old Latin manuscript (Darby)

  • bucksburg
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "tommy.wasserman" wrote:
      >> Dear Daniel,
      What are those 34 OL MSS? When you say 34 OL MSS do you mean MSS that preserve not just fragments? 34 sounds like a very high figure to me.<<

      "bucksburg" <bucksburg@> wrote:
      > There are 34 OL mss of John. Exactly half of them contain the Pericope Adultera. It is purposely omitted from four: a, f, q, and delta. But as we know, delta left the page blank to fill it in later if needed.<

      I went back to the Vetus Latina site to check. You're right, that number is a bit high. Three of those are just canon tables, only one of which lists the PA. If 17 mss contain some of the PA, and 4 exclude it, that would indicate around 21 OL mss of that portion of John. The rest would be fragments of other parts of John. For example, there are 12 mss that don't have 7:52, and 8 mss that don't have 8:12.

      Here are the lacunose mss that include part of the PA:
      Codex Usserianus secundus r2 8:7-21
      Codex Sarzanensis j 7:46-8:6 illegible; portions of 8:7-12 visible

      These contain most of the PA (ff2 omits 7:53):
      Codex Palatinus e
      Codex Bezae d
      Codex Colbertinus c
      Codex Sangermanensis primus g1