Re: [textualcriticism] OT Text Issues and Defining the Autographs

  • Edward Andrews
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
      James:

      I want to thank you for the help. I believe Porter is too old. I was thinking that maybe a really good study Bible may have footnotes that could be gone through to collect a list. I understand there are pitfalls in this as well. Really, I just wanted a working list.

      I am not certain that I feel the same way about Comfort. But then again that may be my bias, as a lot of what he has to say, I believe to be the case, or hope to be the case anyway. Actually, I am not insisting that they have the authors autograph. I insist nothing as an absolute. And Jude, 2nd and 3rd John would be a possibility of completing on their own, without the need of a scribe, or even correction.

      Again, I appreciate your time.

      Edward Andrews
      edandrews@...
      740-630-9318
      Yahoo Bible-Translation Group
      Bible-Translation.Net Website

      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
        Dear Arie:

        Yes, I see your point. It is my hope and my belief that we could get back to the texts that would have been used by Ezra and Nehemiah. If scholars of a similar mindset like Harrison, Brotzman, Deist, and Wurthwein were at the task. Anyway, I was simply looking to see if a PDF list of the major issues has ever been compiled. It seems that here is the perfect opportunity for someone to go to task on a textual commentary of the Old Testament.

        Truly,

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 14, 2010
          Dear Harold:

          I am believe I can get all five volumes for $30.00. I have emailed the store, and I am awaiting their response, as to whether it is all five volumes, like part of it says, or five volumes of No. 1, as part of the other checkout process says. It says English and French. Have you used the books? Is it French with English within it, or is it just both in English and French?

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 14, 2010
            Dear Edward,

            This book by Ashley S. Crane has some important things to say about the dynamics of textual development in one part of the Hebrew Bible:

            Israel's Restoration: A Textual-Comparative Exploration of Ezekiel 36-39 (Supplements to Vetus Testamentum; Brill, 2008).

            Another important work from a methodological perspective is by James R. Adair Jr.:

            An Inductive Method for Reconstructing the Biblical Text Illustrated by an Analysis of 1 Samuel 3. Journal of Northwest Semitic Languages Supplement Series. (Stellenbosch: Department of Ancient Studies, University of Stellenbosch, 2000).

            Best,

            Tim Finney

            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "edandrews1966" <edandrews@...> wrote:

            > Dear Group: Is there a list of all the major textual issues for the
            > Old Testament? I have had my eye out for a Old Testament version of a
            > work like Metzger's or Comfort's new work. Is there one being planned?
            > Also, as an aside, I am quite fond of Philip Comfort's work over the
            > years. I am wondering why he does not get quoted as often. I know that
            > many modern textual scholars have given up on the idea of getting back
            > to the original.* I know this is Comfort's objective, is that what has
            > kept him from being referenced as often. * By original, I mean the
            > first signed published edition, after the corrections to the autograph
            > and rough draft. Getting back to an autograph is highly unlikely, being
            > that it was not copied and recopied. Comfort believes we can get back
            > to the first published edition, the original. Edward Andrews Liberty
            > University

          • Edward Andrews
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 15, 2010
              Tim:

              Much thanks on the recommendations. I looked up Ashley S. Crane on a Google search, and she is a bit too pricey for me ($120.00 - $145.00). I did buy

              Preliminary and Interim Report on the Hebrew Old Testament Text Project (4 of 5 Vol.)

               Again, I thank you, and after a little work in the above, I will offer some feedback on them.

              Edward Andrews
              edandrews@...
              740-630-9318
              Yahoo Bible-Translation Group
              Bible-Translation.Net Website

              This book by Ashley S. Crane has some important things to say about the dynamics of textual development in one part of the Hebrew Bible:

              Israel's Restoration: A Textual-Comparative Exploration of Ezekiel 36-39 (Supplements to Vetus Testamentum; Brill, 2008).

              Another important work from a methodological perspective is by James R. Adair Jr.:

              An Inductive Method for Reconstructing the Biblical Text Illustrated by an Analysis of 1 Samuel 3. Journal of Northwest Semitic Languages Supplement Series. (Stellenbosch: Department of Ancient Studies, University of Stellenbosch, 2000).

              Best,

              Tim Finney

              --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "edandrews1966" <edandrews@...> wrote:

              > Dear Group: Is there a list of all the major textual issues for the
              > Old Testament? I have had my eye out for a Old Testament version of a
              > work like Metzger's or Comfort's new work. Is there one being planned?
              > Also, as an aside, I am quite fond of Philip Comfort's work over the
              > years. I am wondering why he does not get quoted as often. I know that
              > many modern textual scholars have given up on the idea of getting back
              > to the original.* I know this is Comfort's objective, is that what has
              > kept him from being referenced as often. * By original, I mean the
              > first signed published edition, after the corrections to the autograph
              > and rough draft. Getting back to an autograph is highly unlikely, being
              > that it was not copied and recopied. Comfort believes we can get back
              > to the first published edition, the original. Edward Andrews Liberty
              > University

            • Harold P. Scanlin
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 15, 2010

                Edward,

                HOTTP is fully bilingual. Each entry includes the Hebrew lemma, a literal translation in both English and French, translations in four versions (RSV, NEB, Jerusalem-French, and Luther), factors [described in the Introduction] explaining the variant, a recommended English and French translated, with a rating, roughly comparable to UBS/GNT) reflecting the degree of certainty in the opinion of the committee. All of this is elaborated at great length in
                Barthélemy's
                volumes. The "factors", modified and revised and now called "characterizations," are also used in BHQ. The first published installment, Megilloth (2004), explains these characterizations.

                Another resource for identifying textual issues in relation to OT translation is the "Textkritiska Anmärkningar" (pp.1587-1675) in some editions of the Swedish Bible translation of 2000. By my rough count there are more than 3,700 textual notes for the OT, 300+ more for the Apocrypha, and NONE for the NT, relying on UBS/GNT3 instead! This translation relies heavily on the Albrektson "school" of OT textual criticism which is prepared to utilize emendation to a far greater extent than HOTTP.

                Before my retirement from UBS seven years ago I was the Consultant on Scholarly Editions and worked with the HOTTP and BHQ committees.

                Harold

                Harold P. Scanlin
                41 Waldheim Park
                Allentown, PA 18103
                harold.scanlin@...
                610-791-9146

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 15, 2010
                  Harold:

                  I do appreciate the feedback. I am wondering why there has never been a project implemented by any of the big publishers (Tyndale, Zondervan, Baker, Holman, IVP) for a textual commentary. It seems that the Old Testament seems to get less press. Again, much thanks.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 15, 2010
                    In one of my essays (PDF) I have scanned several sample pages of the HOTTP volumes. With a list of their critical criteria, also scanned.

                    You can examine the text inside this essay:

                    http://www.Biblical-data.org/TC_stuff/TC_genesis.pdf

                    The volumes certainly illuminate many OT issues, they also miss many variants and issues. Still quite valuable.

                    sincerely,
                    Mr. Gary S. Dykes
                    www.Biblical-data.org
                  • C.N. Bartch
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 15, 2010
                      Where was is that you found the HOTTP set for $30?  I would love to pick up a copy of it at this price, but I don't see the individual volumes for about $40-50 a piece.

                      Thanks!
                      ~Chris Bartch

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 16, 2010
                        Chris:

                        Amazon.com. I just happened to catch one book store that had four of the five volumes at $5.00 each. I have gone back and see no more at that price. I think $18.00 is the lowest I see now. It usually does not work out so well for me like that. :-o) I hate when a book gets scarce, and someone wants $150.00 for a $20.00 book. I liken it to the people who were selling water for $50.00 a gallon after the hurricane in Florida about a decade ago.