Re: Pericope Adultera in Old Latin manuscript (Darby)

  • tommy.wasserman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2010
      Dear Daniel,

      what are those 34 OL MSS? When you say 34 OL MSS do you mean MSS that preserve not just fragments? 34 sounds like a very high figure to me.

      Tommy Wasserman

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "bucksburg" <bucksburg@...> wrote:

      > --- In post #1889, Steven Avery wrote:
      >
      > >> Hi Folks,
      >
      > > J. N. Darby ...said in his NT introduction: As to John 8 ... in my examination of the text I found that in one of the best MSS. of the old Latin, two pages had been torn out because it was there, carrying away part of the text preceding and following. <
      >
      > There aren't that many Old Latin manuscripts. Do we know to what manuscript Darby is referring to here, and how it is carried in the apparatuses?<<
      >
      > There are 34 OL mss of John. Exactly half of them contain the Pericope Adultera. It is purposely omitted from four: a, f, q, and delta. But as we know, delta left the page blank to fill it in later if needed.
      > It's added to the margin(?) of l.
      >
      > The ms Darby noted was probably b, Codex Veronensis. It's lacunate from 7:44 to 8:12, commencing with "rursus autem congregatis illis loquebatur."
      >
      > Buchanan, page viii-ix, notes: "The two centre leaves of Q[uire] xiii which contained the pericope de adultera have vanished and left no trace behind. The passage has not been erased. The text of b must have been closely akin to that of ff; for the two lost leaves in b would be exactly filled by the text of ff."
      >
      > Daniel Buck

    • bucksburg
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010

        "bucksburg" <bucksburg@> wrote:
        > There are 34 OL mss of John. Exactly half of them contain the Pericope Adultera. It is purposely omitted from four: a, f, q, and delta. But as we know, delta left the page blank to fill it in later if needed.<

        I went back to the Vetus Latina site to check. You're right, that number is a bit high. Three of those are just canon tables, only one of which lists the PA. If 17 mss contain some of the PA, and 4 exclude it, that would indicate around 21 OL mss of that portion of John. The rest would be fragments of other parts of John. For example, there are 12 mss that don't have 7:52, and 8 mss that don't have 8:12.

        Here are the lacunose mss that include part of the PA:
        Codex Usserianus secundus r2 8:7-21
        Codex Sarzanensis j 7:46-8:6 illegible; portions of 8:7-12 visible

        These contain most of the PA (ff2 omits 7:53):
        Codex Palatinus e
        Codex Bezae d
        Codex Colbertinus c
        Codex Sangermanensis primus g1