Re: [textualcriticism] Royse and Swanson on Lk 3:22 in P75

  • David Robert Palmer
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2010
      Hi Joe,

      Manuscript 1346 in Swanson is a typographical error; it should read 346.

      I would say P. 75 has a different reading from 346, as the reading of the latter is TON OURANON PNEUMA instead of PNEUMA as found in P. 75.

      David Robert Palmer

      From: socius72

      I need some assitance. In James Royse's book "Scribal Habits in Early Greek NT Papyri" he lists PNEUMA (not TO PNEUMA) as a singular reading in Lk 3:22 of P75. However, Reuben Swanson's NT Gk MSS edition of Luke shows that the article is also missing in 1346*. Royse notes that he has utilized Swanson's edition (p. 65). Has Royse missed 1346* here? Should the variant not be regarded singular? At best it maybe sub-singular? Or has Swanson erred in his reference to 1346*?

      Thanks for your assistance,
      Joe

    • socius72
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 11, 2010
        Thanks David,
        Just to clarify, should 1346 always read 346 in Swanson, or is the typographical error only on this occassion at Lk 3:22?

        In regards to the reading of Lk 3:22, Royse's point is that PNEUMA does not come with the article and therefore represents a singular reading (p. 661). However, MS 346, though adding TON OURANON, still has PNEUMA, in PNEUMA TO AGION, the subject of the clause, without the article. My impression is that Royse missed this. Or, for some reason, wasn't confident of the reading in 346?

        Joe

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "David Robert Palmer" <davekanaka@...> wrote:

        > Hi Joe,
        >
        > Manuscript 1346 in Swanson is a typographical error; it should read 346.
        >
        > I would say P. 75 has a different reading from 346, as the reading of the latter is TON OURANON PNEUMA instead of PNEUMA as found in P. 75.
        >
        > David Robert Palmer
        >

        > From: socius72
        >
        > I need some assitance. In James Royse's book "Scribal Habits in Early Greek NT Papyri" he lists PNEUMA (not TO PNEUMA) as a singular reading in Lk 3:22 of P75. However, Reuben Swanson's NT Gk MSS edition of Luke shows that the article is also missing in 1346*. Royse notes that he has utilized Swanson's edition (p. 65). Has Royse missed 1346* here? Should the variant not be regarded singular? At best it maybe sub-singular? Or has Swanson erred in his reference to 1346*?
        >
        > Thanks for your assistance,
        > Joe

      • David Robert Palmer
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 11, 2010
          Hi Joe.

          In Swanson, 1346 should be 346 in every instance; the other gospels too.  MS 346 is part of Family 13, so its reading is given when it differs from the family.

          I’m going to study the article issue further.

          David Robert Palmer

          --- In mailto:textualcriticism%40yahoogroups.com, "David Robert Palmer" <davekanaka@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          Joe,

          > Manuscript 1346 in Swanson is a typographical error; it
          should read 346.

          > I would say P. 75 has a different reading
          from 346, as the reading of the latter is TON OURANON PNEUMA instead of PNEUMA as found in P. 75.

          > David Robert Palmer
          >

          > From: socius72
          >
          > I need some assitance. In James
          Royse's book "Scribal Habits in Early Greek NT Papyri" he lists PNEUMA (not TO PNEUMA) as a singular reading in Lk 3:22 of P75. However, Reuben Swanson's NT Gk MSS edition of Luke shows that the article is also missing in 1346*. Royse notes that he has utilized Swanson's edition (p. 65). Has Royse missed 1346* here? Should the variant not be regarded singular? At best it maybe sub-singular? Or has Swanson erred in his reference to 1346*?

          > Thanks for your
          assistance,

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 12, 2010

            346 is online at the VMR.

            For your convenience I have uploaded the specific passage here:

            http://img11.myimg.de/346Lk32230346x01720INTc4ae7.jpg

            Swanson has it correct.

            346* reads TON OUNON PMA TO AGION

            "N OUNON" is canceled by two backslashes \ above the letters.

            Geerlings notes this, too.

            --------------------------

            Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany

            http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie

            Textcritical commentary:

            http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

          • socius72
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 12, 2010
              Hi Wieland,
              When I click the link I get a "403- Forbidden" page.
              thanks,
              Joe

              [EDIT: Well, those hosts ...
              try this:
              http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4104/346lk32230346x01720intf.jpg
              or this:
              http://picfront.de/d/7SHF

              Best wishes
              Wieland]

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 15, 2010
                Thanks Wieland,
                Can see it now. Seems Royse was correct not to follow Swanson here
                JOe

                --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "socius72" <crepuscule30@...> wrote:

                > Hi Wieland,
                > When I click the link I get a "403- Forbidden" page.
                > thanks,
                > Joe
                >
                > [EDIT: Well, those hosts ...
                > try this:
                > http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4104/346lk32230346x01720intf.jpg
                > or this:
                > http://picfront.de/d/7SHF
                >
                > Best wishes
                > Wieland]
                >

                > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@> wrote:
                > >
                > > 346 is online at the VMR.
                > >
                > > For your convenience I have uploaded the specific passage here:
                > >
                > > http://img11.myimg.de/346Lk32230346x01720INTc4ae7.jpg
                > >

                > > Swanson has it correct.
                > >
                > > 346* reads TON OUNON PMA TO AGION
                > >
                > > "N OUNON" is canceled by two backslashes \ above the letters.
                > >
                > > Geerlings notes this, too.
                > >

                > > Best wishes
                > >
                > > Wieland
                > >
                > > <><

                > > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                > >
                > > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                > >
                > > Textcritical commentary:
                > >
                > > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

              • Daniel Buck
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 20, 2010
                  Not sure if anyone else noted it or not, but there's also a strikethrough over N OUNON.
                  This is NS for OURANON, right? There's an overline above NON.

                  Daniel Buck