Severus and the Heothina

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2010
      The Heothina -- a cycle of eleven lections for matins, each lection being about the rising of Christ -- are, according to an article in the Blackwell Dictionary of Eastern Christianity (of which I can access a snippet online), mentioned by Severus of Antioch (no relation to Hogwarts Professor Severus Snape) as something which had been "recently introduced" in his time/place.

      They are:

      (1) Matthew 28:16-20,
      (2) Mark 16:1-8,
      (3) Mark 16:9-20,
      (4) Luke 24:1-12,
      (5) Luke 24:12-35,
      (6) Luke 24:36-53,
      (7) John 20:1-10,
      (8) John 20:11-18,
      (9) John 20:19-31,
      (10) John 21:1-14, and
      (11) John 21:15-25.

      Cyril of Jerusalem, in Catechetical Lecture XIV, part 24 (on p. 100-101 of NPNF Vol. VII), states that his listeners had heard a passage that mentioned Christ's ascension on the previous day, which had been a Sunday; this might indicate that the Heothina were in use when/where Cyril was teaching.

      Now, after visiting the Cyprian Project website and downloading all available volumes of Patrologia Orientalis, I am left with the task of pinpointing exactly where Severus of Antioch mentions the Heothina. But that's a chore. So, before undertaking that task, I am wondering: would anyone happen to have the information readily available?

      A bright shiny ruble awaits the first person who can provide precisely the correct reference!