Re: Two Readings in Matthew 25

  • bucksburg
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2010
      -- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "james_snapp_jr" wrote:

      >> In Matthew 25:1, were the 10 virgins waiting for the bridegroom, or for the bridegroom and the bride? "The bridegroom and the bride" is supported by D X* OL Vulgate f-1 Armenian/Old-Georgian and the Peshitta.

      And then there's Matthew 25:6 -- what is the first part of the midnight cry? Neither UBS-4 nor NA-27 includes this variant-unit. In Byz W Vg Pesh, the cry is not simply, "Look, the bridegroom!" -- it's "Look, the bridegroom is coming!" And it would not be terribly difficult for that ERCETAI to be accidentally skipped, situated next to EXERCESQE.<<

      Given the paucity of evidence, we can only surmise that there is a fair amount of textual fluidity here. ERCETAI would be more likely to be dropped in front of ERCESQUE--a nonexistent word. And, as it turns out, several mss have, instead, EGEIRESQE; a very meaningful alternate in that context.

      Recently I've been transcribing Latin mss and am struck by how hard it often is to read something written in my own native alphabet. Is that a t, an r, or a v? Maybe even an i? Did I not have a printed text before me, I'd have to wildly guess at the identity of the word. I don't doubt that scribes often faced the same problem, with two responses--and we know that many scribes were not any more fluent in Greek than I am in Latin. One, to transcribe the word as nearly as they could, mauger sensibility (the barbaric approach). The other, to guess a synonym, or anything that fitted the context (such as EGEIRESQE here), as the most likely candidate (the scholarly approach).