New article on Luke 23:34a

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2010
      "A Disconcerting Prayer: On the Originality of Luke 23:34a"
      JBL 129, no. 3 (2010): 521-536
      Nathan Eubank
      [nathaneubank@...]

      From the intro:
      " In this essay I shall review the external evidence, arguing that
      proponents of the shorter reading have exaggerated their case. Then, after
      examining the formidable intrinsic evidence in favor of the longer reading,
      I shall turn to neglected transcriptional evidence that shows that Luke
      23:34a was a problem passage in early Christianity."

      The article is available from the author on request.

      --------------------------
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2010
        > "A Disconcerting Prayer: On the Originality of Luke 23:34a"
        > JBL 129, no. 3 (2010): 521-536
        > Nathan Eubank

        I have now read Nathan Eubank's article carefully. Most of what he writes is
        not new.
        One interesting fact Eubank is mentioning is that some fathers have
        SUGCWRHSON instead of AFES, which means "grant to, permit them" and allows
        for another interpretation. There are no manuscripts that read thus.

        Overall Lk 23:34 together with Lk 22:43-44 are two of the most important
        variants in the Gospels, perhaps THE two most important. If we accept these
        words to be genuine, which I am inclined to do (still with a big question
        mark, of course), then we must accept that P75/B suffered from some strange,
        selective, but serious recensional activity.

        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        Textcritical commentary:
        http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/