Slavic scholar passes away

  • mydogregae01
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2010
      Sadly I share this information, about the scholar Horace Lunt. He was a great scholar of the Slavic languages. He wrote the article in Metzger's "Versions..." on O.C.S.. He was a humble man and assisted me when I was studying OCS. He also wrote a fine text on palimpsests of OCS, and a great OCS grammar.
      ++++++++++++++++++

      from Wikipedia:

      "Horace Gray Lunt (1918-2010) was a linguist working in the field of Slavic Studies, Professor Emeritus at the Slavic Language and Literature Department and the Ukrainian Institute at Harvard University.

      As a student of Roman Jakobson at Columbia University, he joined the Harvard University faculty in 1949 together with his mentor. There he taught the course on Old Church Slavonic grammar for four decades, creating what has become the standard handbook on it, now in its seventh edition.

      He published numerous monographs, articles, essays, and reviews on all aspects of Slavic comparative and historical linguistics and philology. He also wrote the first English grammar of the Macedonian language in the early 1950s.

      He passed away on August 11, 2010 at the age of 91. He is survived by his wife, Dr. Sally Herman Lunt, daughters Catherine and Elizabeth, five grandchildren, and son-in-law David."

      a partial bibliography:

      * Lunt, H. G. (2001) Old Church Slavonic Grammar, 7th ed. (Walter de Gruyter) ISBN 3-11-016284-9; first ed. 1955 (Mouton & Co.)

      * Lunt, H. G. (1952) A Grammar of the Macedonian Literary Language (Skopje)

      Gary S. Dykes
      www.Biblical-data.org