Re: [textualcriticism] Mark 12.32 - TR and Sahidic Coptic?

  • Jovial
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 18 5:18 PM
      Beza has "o theos" included, which may be one of the earlier ones.  Old Syriac Sinaiticus includes it.  Looks like this variant was early, which ever direction it went.   When you examine the whole verse, is it possible that proximity to a similar word in a line above could have created scribal confusion?  Here's more of this verse.....

                           kai eipen autw o
      grammateuV kalwV didaskale
      ep alhqeiaV eipaV oti eiV
      estin qeoV kai ouk estin
      alloV plhn autou

      Joe

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 19 12:05 PM
        Brian,

        Here is what I have from the CNTTS apparatus:
        εις εστιν θεος only in latin
        a 4th c., Latin, Gospel ms., located at the Vercelli Bibl. Capitolare, Western in text affinities
        b 5th c., Latin, Gospel ms., located at the Vercelli Bibl. Capitolare, Western in text affinities
        c 12/13th c., Latin, Gospel ms., located at the Paris National Library, Western in text affinities
        ff2 5th c., Latin, Gospel ms., located at the Paris National Library, Western in text affinities
        i 5th c., Latin, fragmentary Mark and Luke ms., located at the National Library at Napoli, Italy, Western in text affinities
        k 4/5th c., Latin, fragmentary Matthew and Mark ms., located at Torino National Library, Western in text affinities
        q 6/7th c., Latin, Gospel ms., located at Bayer. Staatsbibl., Western in text affinities

        All the other witnesses use Nomina Sacra (θς)
        E07 F09 H013 2 1071 2358 D05 G011 œ038 13 28 69 124 346 565 700 788 1582c Ï13 W032 579

        I've not posted before so I'm not sure how this formatting will turn out.

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "sahidiccoptic" <wrightoptions@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone help me determine where the TR gets its rendering of Theos in Mark 12.32?
        >
        > As far as I can tell, the TR stands alone: the R-P majority text doesn't contain Theos, neither do any of the major majuscules, and the NA27 doesn't even list it as a variant. Even more, it is the only place in the NT where the Sahidic Coptic MSS follow the TR against the NA27 regarding occurrences of Theos.
        >
        > Any help/clarification would be greatly appreciated, as I'm not going to be around a good theological library for a while.
        >
        > Brian

      • sarban
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 20 6:52 AM