New Archeological Find

  • Heterodoxus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2010
      The Jewish newspaper, Harretz, is reporting that a tiny fragment from a "'Hammurabi-like' cuneiform" (c. XVIII - XVII BCE) has been uncovered at the Tel Hazor archaeological site.

      More information here
       .

      Pat
    • Daniel Buck
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2010
        Not knowing anything about Akkadian paleography, I wonder what are the grounds for dating this fragment so much earlier than the Tell Amarna letters?

        Daniel Buck

        The Jewish newspaper, Harretz, is reporting that a tiny fragment from a "'Hammurabi- like' cuneiform" (c. XVIII - XVII BCE) has been uncovered at the Tel Hazor archaeological site.

      • George F Somsel
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2010
          This was found in situ and so I suspect the dating was based on the stratum in which it was found rather than on paleographical grounds.  There are differences in the way in which the cuneus was used, but I'm not that conversant with the subject since I'm basically acquainted with transcriptions.

          george
          gfsomsel

          … search for truth, hear truth,
          defend the truth till death.