RE: [textualcriticism] What's still out there from Qumran?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
      > What popular book are you reading?

      I'm reading:
      "Jesus und die Schriftrollen von Qumran" ; [1947-1997, Jubil´┐Żumsband zur
      Entdeckung der Qumran-Rollen vor 50 Jahren] / Schick, Alexander. -
      Berneck : Schwengeler, 1997

      This is not a M.Baigent-R.Leigh-kind of book. The author gives the
      impression of having private contact with the members of the
      international team.
      He states that Prof Strugnell told him that there are three scrolls in
      the possession of someone (possibly oil sheiks, speculation) and that no
      scholar has yet seen them. One of these scrolls should be Enoch.
      And there are about 2000 fragments sold to a private collector in 1994.
      I'm no expert, are these the Shoyen fragments?

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • Stephen Goranson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004
        Wieland,
        The short answer is I don't know. I've heard of claims of additional scrolls,
        and would surely be interested, but have no direct knowledge. Schoyen has
        Qumran fragments, some once held by Kando apparently (plus there's Kando's
        son), but not, as far as I know, 2000. Besides Strugnell and Schoyen, two
        people who seem to be better informed about such things than most of us are
        Weston Fields and Matthew Hamilton.

        best,
        Stephen Goranson