Missing Verses

  • J.Wilhelm
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14 11:51 AM
      I apologize if this has been asked on the list before - I find the Yahoo search function next to useless. I am wondering about several citations in the Fathers and if people have any idea on what their origin might be? Namely:

      Justin Martyr Dialogue with Trypho LXXII.
      'And Esdras said to the people, This passover is our Saviour and our refuge. And if you have understood, and your heart has taken it in, that we shall humble Him on a standard, and thereafter hope in Him, then this place shall not be forsaken for ever, says the God of hosts. But if you will not believe Him, and will not listen to His declaration, you shall be a laughing-stock to the nations.'

      And again, from the sayings of the same Jeremiah these have been cut out: `The Lord God remembered His dead people of Israel who lay in the graves; and He descended to preach to them His own salvation.'

      Irenaeus Against Heresies III.XX.4
      And that it was not a mere man who died for us, Isaiah says: "And the holy Lord remembered His dead Israel, who had slept in the land of sepulture; and He came down to preach His salvation to them, that He might save them."

      IV.XXII.1
      As Jeremiah declares, "The holy Lord remembered His dead Israel, who slept in the land of sepulture; and He descended to them to make known to them His salvation, that they might be saved."

      [end of quotes]

      Irenaeus of course attributes the same saying to both Isaiah and Jeremiah. Regards,

      Joel Wilhelm
      Virginia, USA