Re: [textualcriticism] The Online Non-Translation of Sinaiticus

  • Robert Relyea
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
      On 07/01/2010 11:22 AM, james_snapp_jr wrote:
      > I visited the Codex Sinaiticus website today, and the English "translation" is still not a real translation of the text of Codex Sinaiticus.
      >
      > Can anyone explain why it is taking so long to put a real translation of Codex Sinaiticus on the Codex Sinaiticus website? It's only a matter of time before some enterprising reporter or blogger learns of this and concocts a story about the Conspiracy of Deception being perpetrated by the British Library.
      >
      > I mean, I know it's just Codex Sinaiticus, but shouldn't this be a higher priority than it apparently is to the folks in charge of the site, Juan?
      >
      > Yours in Christ,
      >
      > James Snapp, Jr.

      The translation is Henry Anderson's 1918 translation of the Codex
      Sinaiticus available
      here:http://www.archive.org/details/newtestamenttran00ande and
      here : http://books.google.com/books?id=DpK3vsjxVTUC

      I don't know if Anderson translated from a collation, or if he just
      revised his previous translation, but it's clear his translation does
      not follow the uncorrected text of the Codex Sinaiticus.

      bob

      My guess it the translation section on the site is low priority and high
      cost.

      bob

    • schmuel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2010
        Hi Folks,

        bob
        The translation is Henry Anderson's 1918 translation of the Codex Sinaiticus available here: http://www.archive.org/details/newtestamenttran00ande and here : http://books.google.com/books?id=DpK3vsjxVTUC
        I don't know if Anderson translated from a collation, or if he just revised his previous translation, but it's clear his translation does not follow the uncorrected text of the Codex Sinaiticus...My guess it the translation section on the site is low priority and high cost.

        Steven Avery
        The original  Henry Tompkins Anderson (1812-1872)  work was 1866, the publication falsely representing this as a Sinaiticus work was in 1918. We have had some discussion of how this is not remotely a true Sinaiticus translation.

        [textualcriticism] CSNTM's - request assistance on Codex Sinaiticus Project misinformation
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/textualcriticism/message/5716

        And much more is available. From the point of view of the Project, no excuse washes.  Even giving the textual identity with a clear disclaimer would be better than the current situation.  ie. Telling the readers the translation source and the truth that this version differs widely from Sinaiticus, and this would take five minutes of web time.  As it stands now, readers are being consciously and deliberately deceived, since the Project is well aware of the situation.

        Shalom,
        Steven Avery
        Queens, NY

         james_snapp_jr wrote:
        > I visited the Codex Sinaiticus website today, and the English "translation" is still not a real translation of the text of Codex Sinaiticus. Can anyone explain why it is taking so long to put a real translation of Codex Sinaiticus on the Codex Sinaiticus website?  It's only a matter of time before some enterprising reporter or blogger learns of this and concocts a story about the Conspiracy of Deception being perpetrated by the British Library.  I mean, I know it's just Codex Sinaiticus, but shouldn't this be a higher priority than it apparently is to the folks in charge of the site, Juan?
      • kazman1914
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2010
          If you're sole interest is an online translation then I can't speak to that, but if you are simply looking for an English translation of the Codex Sinaiticus irrespective of format then you might be interested in "The New Testament: Sinaitic Version" by Dalmer R. Ford. There are currently two copies at Amazon, here:

          http://preview.tinyurl.com/3796hpp

          ~Kaz