P103 (more)

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2010
      Hi All,

      I was too quick to send my last post. Whether P103 supports IWANNHS or IWSHS also depends on the end of line 2 of the relevant fragment (see POxy.v0064.n4403.b.01.hires.jpg at the Oxyrhynchus Papyri site) which seems to preserve a trace of ink from the beta of IAKWBOS. If so, it comes down to whether there was originally IAKWBOS or just IAKWB at the end of line two. (Or maybe even IAKW/BOS if a scribe would split the syllables that way.) It seems to me that IAKWB on line two is most likely, which would mean the best fit to available space on line three is [OSKAIIWSH]S, making IWSHS the apparent reading of P103. It remains possible that line two ended with -BOS, which would make IWANNHS the more likely apparent reading of P103.

      (I'd still like to know what Prof. Handley thought if anyone has vol. 64 of The Oxyrhynchus Papyri handy.)

      Best,

      Tim Finney
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2010
        The editor of this papyrus was J. David Thomas.
        He gives:

        [MARIAM KAI O]I ADELFOI AUTOU IAKW
        [BOS KAI IWS]HS, KAI SIMWN, KAI IOU

        He has a dot under the H of IWSHS.

        Looking at the image and making a rough reconstruction with an uncial font
        it seems to me that IWSHS is too short and that IWANNHS fits better. Even
        with IWANNHS it is a little short.
        The trace of ink after IAKW is probably just a blot or a little dot or bar
        or so. Beta is very unlikely.

        --------------------------
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
      • yennifmit
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2010
          Hi Wieland,

          Thanks for letting me know how J. David Thomas reconstructed the relevant phrase in the editio princeps. I was mistaken to think Prof. Handley had edited this papyrus.

          I have been brushing up on syllabification and it seems that the word would be divided as IAKW-BOS, as per the ed. princ. I think that the space at the beginning of line 3 is about right for [BOS KAI IWS]HS, especially since most of the doubtful H is in the lacuna. If line 2 did end with -BOS then IWANNHS would be a better fit. However, as you indicate, the image at the Oxyrhynchus Papyri website does not seem to show a B (or O or S) after IAKW.

          Best,

          Tim Finney

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2010

            Having looked a bit closer at this problem, I think that I can agree with IWSHS here, although it is not certain.

            Here’s how I see it:

            http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/prob/Mt-13-55-P103.pdf

            http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/