P103

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2010
      Hi All,

      I was just looking at images of P103 (POxy 64.4403). The relevant Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_103) says "In Matthew 13:35 brother of Jesus has name Ιωσης, not Ιωσηφ, and it is the oldest witness for this textual variant." This doesn't seem right to me. First, it is Matt 13.55, not 13.35. Second, the papyrus has a lacuna at the place. What is left is the final sigma and a vertical stroke which may be from a preceding eta. The significant consideration is whether IWSHS (L W Delta ...) or IWANNHS (Aleph-*-vid D E G ...) or IWANNHS KAI IWSHS (lect 344 with some Vulgate MSS supporting the Latin equivalent) was originally there. It seems to me that the available space of about 10 letters (as determined by the space required for [MARIAMKAIO]I in the preceding line) makes [KAIIWANNH]S the more likely reading of P103.

      Does anyone have easy access to vol. 64 of The Oxyrhynchus Papyri to check what the editio princeps has at this point? (I have to drive a long way to see and my car is broken down at the moment.)

      Best,

      Tim Finney