RE: [textualcriticism] Dan Wallace finds a lectionary

  • chris jordan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
      In my experience it is not surprising to find non-biblical material in manuscripts that are designated as Gospel or Apostolos (or both) lectionaries in the Liste. Lectionaries that contain prayers or hymns usually have the siglum Lit (Liturgical) in the Liste. For example, L476, the photos of which are on CSNTM, is a liturgical codex known as a Menaion, which contains a number of Gospel and Apostolos lections. This manuscript is labeled as L476+aLit in the Liste. I would call this manuscript a Menaion with Gospel and Apostolos lections as supposed to a Apostolos-Gospel lectionary. There are Gospel lectionaries with hymnal elements which I would refer to as Gospel lectionaries because among other things the biblical lections outnumber any other text found in the codex. For example, L162 (on the CSNTM website) has hymnal rubrics and L250 (Apostolos-Gospel lectionary) has hymnal rubrics along with the full text of selective Antiphones. However, these manuscripts do not contain the siglum Lit in the Liste.

      I have previously come across Lectionaries with prayers e.g. L490 and L531, although I haven't recorded the content in great detail. These two have the siglum Lit in the Liste.  As noted by Dr W J Elliott in a private email the lectionary that Dan Wallace has found does not seem to have the lections in a typical order, which causes me to think that this is a select Apostolos-Gospel lectionary with prayers and would have had a Lit suffix if it was ever recorded in the Liste.

      On the basis of the above types of lectionary manuscripts it seems that there was a desire to integrate the non-biblical liturgical texts (including prayers) with the biblical lections (and vice versa) for convenience due to the growing complexity of the Byzantine services.

      I am curious to see images of the codex and would be interested in finding out the proportion of prayers to biblical lections and what are the lection rubrics if there are any?

      Chris

      To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
      From: kevin@...
      Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:27:37 -0700
      Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Dan Wallace finds a lectionary

      We'd have to see the actual text in order to determine specifically what sort of lectionary this is, of course, but it would bear comparison to the very similar early Armenian and Georgian lectionaries, especially. These included pericopes interspersed with the incipits of hymns and prayers, as well as location information for the celebrations, all based on the practice at Jerusalem. This could be a Greek exemplar of the Jerusalem lectionary tradition, which would be fascinating. Or it could very well be a more expansive standard Byzantine lectionary, but still important for the history of liturgics even aside from its text.

      I've presented translations of the ancient Armenian and Georgian lectionaries online for several years now:
      http://www.bombaxo.com/lectionaries.html

      See under the heading "Jerusalem Tradition Lectionaries".

      Regards,
      Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Berkeley, California

      Get a new e-mail account with Hotmail – Free. Sign-up now.
    • Daniel B. Wallace
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
        Unfortunately, the MS is at the National Library of Athens. We did not photograph the MS, only examined it briefly. It was a fluke: we expected a different MS to show up. I will be back in Athens in a year and will try to look at it again.

        Daniel B. Wallace, PhD
        Executive Director
        www.csntm.org

        ----- End Original Message -----