Updated Resources at CCC Website

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28 6:22 AM
      I've updated some of the NTTC resources at the Curtisville Christian Church website
      (the homepage is http://www.curtisvillechristian.org ) --

      (1) The multi-part presentation about Mark 16:9-20 has been slightly revised. New comments accompany the replica of the final columns of Mark in Codex Sinaiticus.

      (2) The essay "A Defense of 'in the prophets' in Mark 1:2," which I recently posted here, is presented on its own page, as an answer to the online essay by Dr. Dan Wallace that defends "in Isaiah the prophet." (I was hoping for some discussion here about this essay.)

      (3) Some of the links have been updated (but probably there are still some broken ones.)

      (4) The diagram of my solution to the Synoptic Problem has been simplified. (No more "Proto-Mark B.")

      I also added a mention of the Google Books Library Bookshelf where I've accumulated links to many downloadable books about NTTC and closely related topics.

      If anyone would like to look around the site to check for mistakes, broken links, formatting errors, etc. in the parts about NTTC, I might trade a bright shiny ruble for the effort.

      In other news: I found, in the 1885 American Journal of Philology (Vol. VI) at Google Books, a fascinating article by J. Rendel Harris on pages 25-40, "Conflate Readings of the New Testament." A lot of Harris' proposals are highly speculative but interesting and thought-provoking. He mentions, among other things, variant-units at Mt. 1:7, 1:10, 13:35, 21:9, 21;15, Mark 5:1, 6:14, 6:33, 8:26, Mark 9:38, 9:49, Luke 12:18, and 24:53.

      (At one point Harris, referring to Hort's eight examples of conflation, makes this astounding claim: "a single one, correct in all its details, would provide the chronological subordination of the texts which give combined readings to those which do not make the combination." Unbecrazylievable! It's like saying that an entire castle cannot be older than its youngest part.)

      Message 2 of 6 , May 28 7:52 AM
        James Snapp wrote:
        > I also added a mention of the Google Books Library
        > Bookshelf where I've accumulated links to many
        > downloadable books about NTTC

        Can you please post a link to this book shelf?

        > In other news: I found, in the 1885 American Journal of
        > Philology (Vol. VI) at Google Books, a fascinating article
        > by J. Rendel Harris

        Thanks for mentioning this one. I make the article available for a few days
        here:
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/287537a.pdf

        --------------------------
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
      • Jared Nuzzolillo
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28 10:41 AM
          Thanks so much, James. I have only skimmed it, but have saved it and will continue reading as time permits. This is a great resource!

          Best,
          Jared

          Message 4 of 6 , May 28 2:14 PM
            Wieland,

            Looks like linking to the library will be on my to-do list the next time I update the website. In the meantime, I think that the library is at

            http://books.google.com/books?uid=6987283683749559551&source=gbs_lp_bookshelf_list

            (all one line.)

            I hope that works. You might have to scroll down the page to reach the bookshelf that has the NTTC resources. The percentage of the books there that are "Full View," and which can be downloaded for free, is probably about 90%.

            www.curtisvillechristian.org/TCGoals.html
          • Jonathan C. Borland
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28 7:04 PM
              Dear List,

              > > In other news: I found, in the 1885 American Journal of
              > > Philology (Vol. VI) at Google Books, a fascinating article
              > > by J. Rendel Harris
              >
              > Thanks for mentioning this one. I make the article available for a
              > few days
              > here:
              > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/287537a.pdf

              Thanks Jim and Wieland.

              I had never noticed the explanation that the readings of the earliest
              mss in Matt 1:7,8,10 arose from the corresponding letters of names on
              neighboring lines. An excellent transcriptional observation, and in
              conjunction with the notion that Asaph and Amos were more popular than
              Asa and Amon, it probably best accounts for the external reading of
              the vast minority of mss.

              Jonathan C. Borland
            • Jovial
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010

                I'm surprized the article completely ignored the issue of whether we should or shouldn't expect agreement between Matt 1:7 and 1 Kings 15:8, as well as the fact that witnesses in other languages such as Latin, Aramaic, Coptic, etc., would be consultable since this is a name, nad should have transliterated well.