Bibleworks - forthcoming

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2010

      From Mike Bushell of Bibleworks:

      "Just to chime in briefly: we are still scheduled to include the New Orleans Baptist Seminary apparatus when they are finished with the current round of edits. The BibleWorks manuscript project is also still progressing, albeit much more slowly than I would like. The initial offering of 7 of the most important manuscripts should be released by the end of the year. They will be free of charge to BW8 users, though we may need to charge a media fee for discs with manuscript images. Also keep in mind, as has been said, that Tischendorf is a gold mine, and that most major textual issues surface with a simple comparison of the NA27 and Robinson-Pierpont texts. Oh, yeah, we also have brand new proofs of the Westcott-Hort text and the Scrivener texts to release soon. These should be about as accurate as anyone can get them, much better than what we or anyone else has now. So there's lots of TC stuff in the pipeline and it won't cost you a penny extra - except possibly for the NOBTS stuff - I am not sure if we were able to work out a royalty low enough for us to put it in the base package - if not the price will be reasonable - they are good guys."

      And:

      "This discussion is spot on. It is better to have actual manuscripts rather than an apparatus. Our ultimate goal is to have enough accurate transcriptions available that the software can generate an apparatus on the fly, tuned to whatever parameters you want to give the program. But the full transcriptions (morphologically tagged), as well as images where we can get them (here come the lawyers), will be available. I probably will not live to see this happen for all the "constantly cited manuscripts" but we are very close to taking a first crack at the idea with a decent number of manuscripts. There will be caveats of course. Some of our transcriptions were done utilizing better manuscript images than the ones we can distribute (because of copyright issues). And in a very few cases the lower quality image makes the transcription look wrong when it is actually correct. But I think we are moving in the right direction. This is a big loser for us financially, but it is sort of an obsession of mine. As one user pointed out, these old manuscripts were once the treasured possessions of individuals and churches. They are holy treasures. The academics that compile the various apparati can very easily lose sight of this fact. These ancient manuscripts are the Word of God, both collectively and individually. That is why the copyright wars really irritate me. And it is why this and other projects like it are worthwhile (like Wallace's project to photographically preserve the manuscripts, many of which will eventually succumb to entropy)."

      Taken from here:

      http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?4532-On-Greek-text-crit

      Textcritical Commentary: