Re: Mss' decorative borders

  • Michael Theophilos
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2005
      Hi Malcom,

      If you include the coronis as a decorative boarder then there are basically two lines to
      take. Some take it to be merely decorative. Wieland suggested that since the Egyptian
      God Thoth (whose sybol was an ibis) was considered the 'patron saint' of papyrus and
      writing, scribes would often use this symbol at various points out of habit and convention.

      Others (such as Dirk Obbink) have argued that these kind of final marks offer some sort
      of editorial stamp of approval. Indeed this is how it seems to function in the Timotheus
      Persae (3rd C BC) and a fragment of Ibycus in the following century (P.Oxy 1790).

      However, as was also brought up in a previous post, all the Freer gospels except Mark
      include the coronis which would then raise another set of questions that would need to be
      addressed. Why is there apparently no consistency? What is a pagan symbol doing on a
      5th C gospel manuscript? etc...

      Maybe the coronis was some sort of way of guaranteeing the reader that the work had
      been finished. Maybe its absence in Freeer Mk has something to do with the textual
      ambiguity / corruption of Mk 16:8ff, which by the way the Freer includes.

      You might find the following of interest
      G.M. Stephen 'The Coronis' Scriptorium 13 (1959): 3-14
      and another article in Aegyptus 1 (1920): 224-227

      On decorative or forked paragraphoi see
      A.Grohmann Biblique Zeitung 30 (1930):163-165

      Michael
      Pembroke College
      Univerisyt of Oxford
    • mjriii2003
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2005
        Dear Michael,

        Thanks for your interaction and the references as well as the
        reminder of the recent interaction on this website. It is
        intersting to note that while both authors you referred to may have
        detected two aspects of the decorative borders, Wieland - on his
        very helpful webpage - has noted the lack of decorative borders in
        the Ephesian colophon in codex B - much like codex W lacks at Mark's
        end. I think there is more work to be done.

        Thanks much,

        Malcolm

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Theophilos"
        <michael.theophilos@p...> wrote:

        > Hi Malcom,
        >
        > If you include the coronis as a decorative boarder then there are
        basically two lines to
        > take. Some take it to be merely decorative. Wieland suggested
        that since the Egyptian
        > God Thoth (whose sybol was an ibis) was considered the 'patron
        saint' of papyrus and
        > writing, scribes would often use this symbol at various points out
        of habit and convention.

        > Others (such as Dirk Obbink) have argued that these kind of final
        marks offer some sort
        > of editorial stamp of approval. Indeed this is how it seems to
        function in the Timotheus
        > Persae (3rd C BC) and a fragment of Ibycus in the following
        century (P.Oxy 1790).

        > However, as was also brought up in a previous post, all the Freer
        gospels except Mark
        > include the coronis which would then raise another set of
        questions that would need to be
        > addressed. Why is there apparently no consistency? What is a
        pagan symbol doing on a
        > 5th C gospel manuscript? etc...
        >
        > Maybe the coronis was some sort of way of guaranteeing the reader
        that the work had
        > been finished. Maybe its absence in Freeer Mk has something to do
        with the textual
        > ambiguity / corruption of Mk 16:8ff, which by the way the Freer
        includes.

        > You might find the following of interest
        > G.M. Stephen 'The Coronis' Scriptorium 13 (1959): 3-14
        > and another article in Aegyptus 1 (1920): 224-227
        >
        > On decorative or forked paragraphoi see
        > A.Grohmann Biblique Zeitung 30 (1930):163-165
        >
        > Michael
        > Pembroke College
        > Univerisyt of Oxford
      • Timothy Arthur Brown
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2005
          Hello Everyone,

          A point of clarification - Codex W does conclude Mark's Gospel with a
          decorative border. See the link below. My observation in an earlier
          thread was that Mark's colophon does not include a bird symbol. (The
          earlier thread was about the possible editorial significance of bird
          symbols.)

          http://www.musar.com/Freer_Gospels_Mark_Colophon.jpg
          <http://www.musar.com/Freer_Gospels_Matthew_Colophon.jpg>
          <http://www.musar.com/Freer_Gospels_Luke_Colophon.jpg>

          T. A. Brown
          Franconia, New Hampshire USA

          mjriii2003 wrote:

          > Dear Michael,
          >
          > Thanks for your interaction and the references as well as the
          > reminder of the recent interaction on this website. It is
          > intersting to note that while both authors you referred to may have
          > detected two aspects of the decorative borders, Wieland - on his
          > very helpful webpage - has noted the lack of decorative borders in
          > the Ephesian colophon in codex B - much like codex W lacks at Mark's
          > end. I think there is more work to be done.
          >
          > Thanks much,
          >
          > Malcolm
          >
          > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Theophilos"
          > <michael.theophilos@p...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi Malcom,
          > >
          > > If you include the coronis as a decorative boarder then there are
          > basically two lines to
          > > take. Some take it to be merely decorative. Wieland suggested
          > that since the Egyptian
          > > God Thoth (whose sybol was an ibis) was considered the 'patron
          > saint' of papyrus and
          > > writing, scribes would often use this symbol at various points out
          > of habit and convention.
          > >
          > > Others (such as Dirk Obbink) have argued that these kind of final
          > marks offer some sort
          > > of editorial stamp of approval. Indeed this is how it seems to
          > function in the Timotheus
          > > Persae (3rd C BC) and a fragment of Ibycus in the following
          > century (P.Oxy 1790).
          > >
          > > However, as was also brought up in a previous post, all the Freer
          > gospels except Mark
          > > include the coronis which would then raise another set of
          > questions that would need to be
          > > addressed. Why is there apparently no consistency? What is a
          > pagan symbol doing on a
          > > 5th C gospel manuscript? etc...
          > >
          > > Maybe the coronis was some sort of way of guaranteeing the reader
          > that the work had
          > > been finished. Maybe its absence in Freeer Mk has something to do
          > with the textual
          > > ambiguity / corruption of Mk 16:8ff, which by the way the Freer
          > includes.
          > >
          > > You might find the following of interest
          > > G.M. Stephen 'The Coronis' Scriptorium 13 (1959): 3-14
          > > and another article in Aegyptus 1 (1920): 224-227
          > >
          > > On decorative or forked paragraphoi see
          > > A.Grohmann Biblique Zeitung 30 (1930):163-165
          > >
          > > Michael
          > > Pembroke College
          > > Univerisyt of Oxford
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ul09qt/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1706113926:HM/EXP=1110613428/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

        • Minton, Ron
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2005
            Interesting article I just received from another list. The date was
            wrong. It is fourth cent, not 1st-4th. It is also on animal skin, not
            papyrus. The Shepherd of Hermas and the Epistle of Barnabas were not
            written in 65, but more like 100 or a little later for Hermas. Still,
            it is interesting that the popular media gets involved now and then.
            Ron Minton

            ________
            Here's an interesting article from this morning's paper.
            Experts want wide access to biblical texts
            BY TOD ROBBERSON / The Dallas Morning News
            Is the Bible the infallible word of God or a text doctored by
            calligraphers, priests and politicians to satisfy their own earthly
            motivations? Evidence suggesting the latter is contained on the pages
            of the world's oldest Bible, the Codex Sinaiticus.

            The ancient Greek Bible, written between the 1st and 4th centuries
            A.D., has been divided since the mid-1800s after European and Russian
            visitors removed sections of it from a desert monastery in Egypt.
            But this week, experts from Britain, Germany, Russia, Egypt and the
            United States launched a four-year project to digitally reunite the
            fragile texts and make them available to anyone with the click of a
            mouse.
            "The Codex is so special as a foundation document and a unique icon to
            Christianity," said John Tuck, head of British Collections at the
            British Library in London. Unification of the manuscript, albeit
            digitally, "is a blockbuster in scholarship."

            Only a privileged few have ever been allowed to handle the original
            manuscripts. Scholars need access to determine, among other things, how
            far the modern Bible has veered in interpretation from the Codex. Parts
            of the project announced Thursday will include Christian texts written
            as few as 45 years after the death of Jesus Christ.
            The manuscripts are so delicate that only four scholars have been
            granted access in the past 19 years to sections of the text housed in
            London, said Scot McKendrick, head of medieval and earlier manuscripts
            at the British Library in London.
            But researchers and the general public will be able to examine the
            digitized texts in minute detail. Historical and explanatory notations
            will accompany the digitized text so that viewers can trace how changes
            were made and, more important, why.
            "Obviously, the way the editing works ... is exceedingly interesting.
            What is the process leading to this or that correction? Whether it was
            merely editorial, or if they were following a theological lead" in
            altering the message, McKendrick said.
            Ray Bruce, a film director who is producing a documentary on the
            project, cited the Book of Mark as an example of how much the modern
            Bible has been altered from the Codex text. In the Codex, he said, the
            Book of Mark ends at chapter 16, verse 8, with the discovery that
            Christ's tomb was empty.
            But more modern versions contain an additional 12 verses with testimony
            from Mary Magdalene and 11 apostles referring to the resurrection of
            Jesus.
            "It shows how much this is a dynamic process of editing and
            adaptation," he said, but also raises questions about the influence man
            has had on texts regarded by Christians as divinely inspired.
            Researchers and plunderers have particularly coveted the Codex because
            the texts were written so soon after the life of Jesus, and they are
            the largest and longest-surviving Biblical manuscript in existence,
            including both the Old and New Testament. In addition, the Codex
            contains two Christian texts written around 65 A.D., the Shepherd of
            Hermas and the Epistle of Barnabas.
            Until the mid-1800s, the complete Codex was housed inside St.
            Catherine's Monastery in Sinai, Egypt. But the texts were broken up
            when visitors bribed, cajoled or deceived monks into letting certain
            sections be removed for further examination in Russia, Britain and
            Germany.
            "They were never returned," said Greek Orthodox Archbishop Damianos of
            Sinai. "The monastery felt a great injustice was done."
            He said disappearance of the texts led to upheaval in the monastery,
            and because of lingering resentment, the monks at St. Catherine's had
            been "a bit reluctant to respond positively" when asked to participate
            in the current project.
            In particular, he singled out Britain for criticism because of what he
            described as the underhanded manner in which it obtained its texts and
            its longtime refusal to return them. Nevertheless, he said, the
            monastery agreed to join the digitization project.
            Other parts of the manuscript that had been taken to Russia disappeared
            after the 1918 Bolshevik Revolution and were feared lost forever. They
            did not reappear until the mid-1940s and are now kept at the National
            Library of Russia in St. Petersburg.
            McKendrick said the Codex was originally produced on high-grade papyrus
            with state-of-the-art ink and pens - the best available at the time.
            Similarly, the new digitization project will use some of today's most
            advanced technology, he added. "So in a sense, we'll be matching 4th
            century cutting-edge technology with cutting-edge 21st century
            technology."
          • Peter Head
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 11, 2005
              Let's hope we get some media reports from someone who knows what they are
              talking about.

              Peter

              At 03:59 PM 3/11/05, you wrote:

> [...]
              >In particular, he singled out Britain for criticism because of what he
              >described as the underhanded manner in which it obtained its texts and
              >its longtime refusal to return them. Nevertheless, he said, the
              >monastery agreed to join the digitization project.
              >Other parts of the manuscript that had been taken to Russia disappeared
              >after the 1918 Bolshevik Revolution and were feared lost forever. They
              >did not reappear until the mid-1940s and are now kept at the National
              >Library of Russia in St. Petersburg.
              >McKendrick said the Codex was originally produced on high-grade papyrus
              >with state-of-the-art ink and pens - the best available at the time.
              >Similarly, the new digitization project will use some of today's most
              >advanced technology, he added. "So in a sense, we'll be matching 4th
              >century cutting-edge technology with cutting-edge 21st century

              Peter M. Head, PhD
              Tyndale House
              36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
              566607
              Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608
            • malcolm robertson
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 11, 2005
                Dear Everyone,

                Perhaps just a lapse in prudence - perhaps he simply misspoke - when Mr. McKendrick said: "the Codex was originally produced on high-grade papyrus
                with state-of-the-art ink and pens." Th
                is codex was definitely written on parchment.

                Malcolm

                Do you Yahoo!?
                Make Yahoo! your home page