Re: [textualcriticism] Using the Free Images at PLOTW

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5 2:08 PM
      James wrote:

      Larry Swain: I get the impression that recouping costs on this project will end up being like recouping costs on (insert your choice of toll road or toll bridge names here). In other words, the charges will remain in effect, and will increase in pace with inflation and the cost of living index long after the initial cost for the project has been recouped. I see no good reason why this and other such projects can't offer some sort of non-institutional subscription path for the non-affiliated scholar.<<

      Two issues here, James:
      First, as for the longevity of the fees, I doubt that. Unlike toll bridges etc, the number of users of PLOTW is extremely small, and the Parker at least isn't a money making institution. So given the limited community from which to recoup costs, it will likely take awhile to do so. We'll see what happens from there.

      Second, I too wish they had other avenues to access the materials. Not just for the independent, unaffiliated scholar, but there are also going to be a large number of scholars whose institutions for many reasons will not cough up the cash to subscribe or not subscribe long term. So those scholars too who would like to access the materials are also out of luck.

      When the project was first announced, these concerns were voiced and we were told that it would be looked into. Not very far, it seems.

      Larry Swain

    • james_snapp_jr
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5 2:38 PM
        James Miller,

        I had a chance earlier today to do a little digging for Greek Psalters. Most of the online images of Psalters are of Latin Psalters. The illustrated Luttrell Psalter, among them, is accessible at the British Library site as a "Turning the Pages" text.

        But the first interesting Greek Psalter I saw was a trilingual (Greek, Latin, and Arabic) MS, of which there is a sample-shot at

        http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/sacredtexts/tripsalter.html

        You might want to sift through the links at
        http://www.synaxis.info/psalter/2_greek/2_greek.html

        and check out

        http://www.abbamoses.com/psalter.html

        http://www.textmanuscripts.com/manuscript_description.php?id=2827&%20cat=Religion&

        .

        Btw, in a description of one of the MSS at PLOTW, I think I referred to "Luke 1-4" being formatted as a preface. That should have been "Luke 1:1-4."

        JM: "I used a slightly less convoluted method to view some ms. pages (I wasn't aiming to print anything). In my browser (Firefox), you can right-click on any "zoomed" image . . ."

        As long as it works! If you're just viewing onscreen, you can cebter the image and hit CTRL+"+" a few times, too.

      • Daniel Buck
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2010
          James Snapp wrote, in post # 5720,

          <<Here's an index to the Biblical manuscripts accessible without a subscription at the Parker Library on the Web:

          245 = New Testament in English. Produced c. 1570. A handwritten NT with cross-references and notes in the margins. Is it based on some printed text, or is it a prototype of a printed text? Has an interesting combination of readings (no Mt. 6:13, has "in the prophets" in Mk. 1:2, has "Jesus" in Mk. 16:9; has Lk. 22:43-44, the PA is on 148r, Acts 8:37 is present, "God" in I Tim. 3:16, "shall burn" in II Pet. 3:10, First John 5:7 includes the Comma in the text in parentheses on 277v). On 89r Luke 1-4 is formatted as if it is a preface, with a colophon-verse about Mark after Luke 1:4, and a fresh book-title at the head of the next page. Some pages in Luke are smeared. Some notes by the colophons rhyme.>>

          This ms is a good example of the fluidity of the Comma designation. Manuscripts and texts that include the Comma aren't in agreement as to just what it consists of. Parker 245 has parentheses as indicated (spelling standardized, actual Comma in italics):

          7 (For there are three which bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.)  8 For there are three which bear record in earth, the Spirit, and water, and blood: and these three are one.

          Although the spelling varies, the wording of this passage is identical to Tyndale's second and subsequent editions, 1534-35.  Coverdale and most subsequent translators reverted back to the For... And... wording of Tyndale's first edition, with other minor changes (Douay-Rheims has And . . . And).  But what changed from one edition to the other was the placement of the parentheses.  Tyndale 1526 had none; 1534 and 1535 had them from "For" to "one" (all of v. 7) and again around "in earth."  Coverdale, however, left out the second set of parentheses in his 1535 edition. No other printed edition since did likewise.

          So, this ms contains a unique combination of Tyndale's wording, but Coverdale's placement of the parentheses. Unique in English Bibles, but how about Greek manuscripts? According to Daniel Wallace, the Comma as penned into the margin of 177 reads:

          οτι τρεις εισιν οι μαρτυρουντες εν ουρανω: πατηρ, λογος, και πνευμα αγιον, και οι τρεις εις το εν εισιν
          for there are three which bear record in heaven: Father, Word, and Holy Ghost, and these three are one.

          Exactly the portion of the comma marked in the English manuscript.