Using the Free Images at PLOTW

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4 4:56 PM
      James Miller,

      About the Psalter of Gregory of Huntingdon: yes; the "Greek" part is Greek transliterated with Latin characters, just as you said. There is at least one Greek Psalter in the PLOTW list, MS #480.

      The PLOTW's non-subscription images are not as good as what you can find at, say, the Goodspeed Collection at the University of Chicago website, but they are not altogether useless for non-subscribers. I found that if there is any specific part of a page that you want to see up close, you can navigate to that page via the slider; then use the Basic View button to enlarge; then (after opening MS Word) use CTRL+Alt+PrintScreen; then paste the entire print-screen image into MS Word; then crop the image so that only the part you want remains; then increase the contrast (and/or brightness) a tad; then re-enlarge the image -- and then, if you haven't over-enlarged, you should have an adequately useful image. The next step is to set your printer to "Best" (and I think it helps a little to use 24-weight paper, though perhaps it is just a matter of brands), and print the image.

      I used the above method to print the "Dancing Paul" initial in the Dover Bible at the beginning of Philippians, and was satisfied with the result, a readable 3" x 6" picture. It's a little extra work. But it's /free/!

    • James Miller
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5 9:14 AM
        --- On Tue, 5/4/10, james_snapp_jr <voxverax@...> wrote:

        > just as you said.  There is at least one Greek Psalter
        > in the PLOTW list, MS #480.

        Thanks so much for pointing out this manuscript, James. This turns out to be just along the lines of what I was looking for.

        > The PLOTW's non-subscription images are not as good as what
        > you can find at, say, the Goodspeed Collection at the
        > University of Chicago website, but they are not altogether
        > useless for non-subscribers.  I found that if there is
        > any specific part of a page that you want to see up close,
        > you can navigate to that page via the slider; then use the
        > Basic View button to enlarge; then (after opening MS Word)
        > use CTRL+Alt+PrintScreen; then paste the entire print-screen
        > image into MS Word; then crop the image so that only the
        > part you want remains; then increase the contrast (and/or
        > brightness) a tad; then re-enlarge the image -- and then, if
        > you haven't over-enlarged, you should have an adequately
        > useful image.  The next step is to set your printer to
        > "Best" (and I think it helps a little to use 24-weight
        > paper, though perhaps it is just a matter of brands), and
        > print the image.
        >
        > I used the above method to print the "Dancing Paul" initial
        > in the Dover Bible at the beginning of Philippians, and was
        > satisfied with the result, a readable 3" x 6" picture.
        > It's a little extra work.  But it's /free/!

        I used a slightly less convoluted method to view some ms. pages (I wasn't aiming to print anything). In my browser (Firefox), you can right-click on any "zoomed" image and select "save as." This will allow you to save the image in the format in which it is displayed within the web page (jpeg). You can then use image-viewing software to open and further enlarge--though with corresponding distortion, since the resolution is quite low--the image. If I needed to do something like you've described I'd open it with image-editing software (I use GIMP), then enlarge, crop, and save the section I wanted to insert into a Word file. But, as with all computer tasks, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

        Larry Swain: I get the impression that recouping costs on this project will end up being like recouping costs on (insert your choice of toll road or toll bridge names here). In other words, the charges will remain in effect, and will increase in pace with inflation and the cost of living index long after the initial cost for the project has been recouped. I see no good reason why this and other such projects can't offer some sort of non-institutional subscription path for the non-affiliated scholar.

        /.02
        James
      • Larry Swain
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5 2:08 PM
          James wrote:

          Larry Swain: I get the impression that recouping costs on this project will end up being like recouping costs on (insert your choice of toll road or toll bridge names here). In other words, the charges will remain in effect, and will increase in pace with inflation and the cost of living index long after the initial cost for the project has been recouped. I see no good reason why this and other such projects can't offer some sort of non-institutional subscription path for the non-affiliated scholar.<<

          Two issues here, James:
          First, as for the longevity of the fees, I doubt that. Unlike toll bridges etc, the number of users of PLOTW is extremely small, and the Parker at least isn't a money making institution. So given the limited community from which to recoup costs, it will likely take awhile to do so. We'll see what happens from there.

          Second, I too wish they had other avenues to access the materials. Not just for the independent, unaffiliated scholar, but there are also going to be a large number of scholars whose institutions for many reasons will not cough up the cash to subscribe or not subscribe long term. So those scholars too who would like to access the materials are also out of luck.

          When the project was first announced, these concerns were voiced and we were told that it would be looked into. Not very far, it seems.

          Larry Swain

        • james_snapp_jr
          Message 4 of 7 , May 5 2:38 PM
            James Miller,

            I had a chance earlier today to do a little digging for Greek Psalters. Most of the online images of Psalters are of Latin Psalters. The illustrated Luttrell Psalter, among them, is accessible at the British Library site as a "Turning the Pages" text.

            But the first interesting Greek Psalter I saw was a trilingual (Greek, Latin, and Arabic) MS, of which there is a sample-shot at

            http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/sacredtexts/tripsalter.html

            You might want to sift through the links at
            http://www.synaxis.info/psalter/2_greek/2_greek.html

            and check out

            http://www.abbamoses.com/psalter.html

            http://www.textmanuscripts.com/manuscript_description.php?id=2827&%20cat=Religion&

            .

            Btw, in a description of one of the MSS at PLOTW, I think I referred to "Luke 1-4" being formatted as a preface. That should have been "Luke 1:1-4."

            JM: "I used a slightly less convoluted method to view some ms. pages (I wasn't aiming to print anything). In my browser (Firefox), you can right-click on any "zoomed" image . . ."

            As long as it works! If you're just viewing onscreen, you can cebter the image and hit CTRL+"+" a few times, too.

          • Daniel Buck
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 31, 2010
              James Snapp wrote, in post # 5720,

              <<Here's an index to the Biblical manuscripts accessible without a subscription at the Parker Library on the Web:

              245 = New Testament in English. Produced c. 1570. A handwritten NT with cross-references and notes in the margins. Is it based on some printed text, or is it a prototype of a printed text? Has an interesting combination of readings (no Mt. 6:13, has "in the prophets" in Mk. 1:2, has "Jesus" in Mk. 16:9; has Lk. 22:43-44, the PA is on 148r, Acts 8:37 is present, "God" in I Tim. 3:16, "shall burn" in II Pet. 3:10, First John 5:7 includes the Comma in the text in parentheses on 277v). On 89r Luke 1-4 is formatted as if it is a preface, with a colophon-verse about Mark after Luke 1:4, and a fresh book-title at the head of the next page. Some pages in Luke are smeared. Some notes by the colophons rhyme.>>

              This ms is a good example of the fluidity of the Comma designation. Manuscripts and texts that include the Comma aren't in agreement as to just what it consists of. Parker 245 has parentheses as indicated (spelling standardized, actual Comma in italics):

              7 (For there are three which bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.)  8 For there are three which bear record in earth, the Spirit, and water, and blood: and these three are one.

              Although the spelling varies, the wording of this passage is identical to Tyndale's second and subsequent editions, 1534-35.  Coverdale and most subsequent translators reverted back to the For... And... wording of Tyndale's first edition, with other minor changes (Douay-Rheims has And . . . And).  But what changed from one edition to the other was the placement of the parentheses.  Tyndale 1526 had none; 1534 and 1535 had them from "For" to "one" (all of v. 7) and again around "in earth."  Coverdale, however, left out the second set of parentheses in his 1535 edition. No other printed edition since did likewise.

              So, this ms contains a unique combination of Tyndale's wording, but Coverdale's placement of the parentheses. Unique in English Bibles, but how about Greek manuscripts? According to Daniel Wallace, the Comma as penned into the margin of 177 reads:

              οτι τρεις εισιν οι μαρτυρουντες εν ουρανω: πατηρ, λογος, και πνευμα αγιον, και οι τρεις εις το εν εισιν
              for there are three which bear record in heaven: Father, Word, and Holy Ghost, and these three are one.

              Exactly the portion of the comma marked in the English manuscript.