Suggestions for CSNTM

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2010
      Dear Dr. Wallace:

      I haven't looked over everything, but it didn't seem strikingly different. Here are some suggestions:

      In the main list of MSS, arrange the MSS in order of age, with the oldest first. This won't be as simple as it sounds, since some MSS are precisely dated and others only have approximate dates. Go century by century, placing explicitly dated MSS before MSS with palaeographically assigned dates. When two or more MSS without explicit dates are assigned to the same century, they should be arranged in the order of their NA-numbers.

      In the description-pages, manuscripts which are intact (no missing pages and no damage to the Scripture-text) should have an explicit note describing them as intact.

      Index-pages should be made ASAP for each and every copy, with priority given to the non-lectionaries. At the very least a skeletal index should be provided for every non-lectionary MS before it is placed online. For example, the skeletal index for a Gospel-copy could list the page-numbers for the beginning of Matthew, the beginning of Matthew 16, the beginning of Mark, the beginning of Luke, the middle of Luke 22, the beginning of John, and the beginning of John 8.

      Ideally, each page-image should be tagged with a heading in the lower margin stating the book, chapter, and verses shown on the page. Less ideally, CSNTM should feature a page devoted to helping novice readers identify passages in the Gospels according to their ancient chapter-titles and numbers, and according to the Canon-numbers.

      Ideally, each image should be framed with arrow-buttons so that the viewer can automatically advance to the previous page of the MS and to the following page of the MS. This will make MS-reading a lot more efficient.

      In the main list, the uncial manuscripts' numeral-designations (01, 02, 03, etc.) should be accompanied by some mention of the traditional siglum (such as the Aleph-symbol for 01, K for 017, N for 022, Delta for 037, Psi for 044, and so forth). Similarly, if a MS is a member of a major family (f-1 or f-13), this should be mentioned alongside the manuscript's number. Perhaps the entries for uncials should be in a different color for easy recognition. (The idea could be expanded: blue for uncials, black for minuscules, and green for lectionaries. Different fonts could achieve the same effect.)

      Stichometry-counts should be noted in the descriptions. For Gospels-MSS, instead of just noting the presence or absence of the Eusebian Section-numbers, the number of Eusebian Sections in each Gospel should be given.

      And let's get some analysis of the text in that 284-page uncatalogued tenth-century Gospels-MS with semi-uncial colophons currently in a private collection in the UK!!! Is it collated yet? I quickly looked over Mk. 16:9-20 ~

      16:9 - has AF
      v. 14 - has DE after hUSTERON
      v. 14 - does not have EK NEKRWN
      v. 18 - "KAI EN TAIS CERSIN" does not appear
      v. 18 - KAI instead of KAN, I think
      v. 18 - BLAFH (I think)
      v. 18 - I'm not sure what is right before ARRWSTOUS. (Shorthand for "EPI"?)
      v. 19 - just _KS_ before META TO
      v. 19 - TAUTA after LALHSAI AUTOIS
      v. 20 - "AMHN" is included

      The copyist had a strong tendency to omit movable-NU. The last three lines of 16:20 are centered in "drain" formation, as if forming the upper half of a V-shape. The final Eusebian section/canon number is 234/10, placed alongside the line on which 16:9 begins.

      Whoever gave CSNTM access to photograph this copy: thank you for this act of service to the body of Christ. (And thanks to all the CSNTM people for making the pictures available!)

      Meanwhile, although CSNTM isn't connected with the British Library, if an opportunity arises to speak with anyone connected with the Codex Sinaiticus website, please advise them to replace the pseudo-translation that Steven mentioned with a real translation of the text in the codex. It is rather sad that after all the effort and expense of putting Codex Sinaiticus online, the one part that needs the greatest improvement is the one part of the MS-presentation that will be comprehensible to most English-reading viewers.

      Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
      Indiana (USA)
      http://www.curtisvillechristian.org/TCGoals.html
    • mydogregae01
      Message 2 of 10 , May 10, 2010
        Dr. Wallace and Mr. Gurry,

        The site looks great. Nice subtle color changes. Easier to navigate.
        I would certainly keep the MSS listed as per the order as per the Nestle/Aland numbers. Thus keeping it simple and logical.

        The images (on the display pages) seem bright and sharp, and load
        fairly quickly. For us slow dial-up users we appreciate less
        ballons and confetti and more source materials.

        Your Java scripting loads quickly too. Job well done. My only caveat would be the covering of some marginal notes (from the fathers) with
        your brightly coloured watermark. (in 1424 for example, sadly some of the father's comments are overwritten by your watermark). Then I suppose that I could order the DVD with the TiFFs without the watermarks, yes??

        MS 2558 (paper if I recall) has been wonderfully preserved by y'all. Such fragile documents need the care you give them, preserving them for future Bible lovers. A great work and service!! I am deeply impressed.

        One of the best sites on the internet has and is getting better,

        sincerely,
        Mr. Gary S. Dykes

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel B. Wallace" <csntm@...> wrote:

        > After working for several weeks on the project, Peter Gurry, one of CSNTM's interns, put together a brand-new look for the CSNTM website. It is much more streamlined than before, with updated information on several pages. Take a look and tell us what you think.
        >
        > Daniel B. Wallace, PhD
        > Executive Director
        > Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts
        > www.csntm.org

      • Daniel B. Wallace
        Message 3 of 10 , May 10, 2010
          Thanks, Gary, for the encouraging note. As for 1424, we have a set size and location for the watermark, but it is also our policy not to cover any text if we can avoid doing so. We will be getting those redone after we return from our current expedition to Greece and Romania.

          Daniel B. Wallace, PhD
          Executive Director
          www.csntm.org

          ----- End Original Message -----