Re: [textualcriticism] What's still out there from Qumran?

  • Stephen Goranson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
      Wieland,

      What popular book are you reading?

      Some Qumran scroll fragments are in private collections, for example, the M.
      Schoyen collection, kept in London and Oslo. Some of these items, including a
      date palm pen with ink that I have suggested be C14 tested, are said to be
      from Kando (including from Cave 11), but in this case after another owner. The
      pen is pictured online, google Schoyen collection; also pictured in the F.
      Mebarki and E. Puech Scroll book, and mentioned in the J.-B. Humbert and Jan
      Gunneweg ed., vol. 2 of Khirbet Qumran et Ain Feshkha, Etudes d'anthropologie,
      de physique et de chimie (2003). This volume also includes ostraca and much
      else of interest, even though parts of some chapters contradict parts of some
      other chapters. And it mentions....yet another Qumran inkwell.

      In the DJD series, if I recall correctly (I'm away from my books), yet to
      appear (at least I haven't seen them) are the Samuel volume (Cross and Parry),
      maybe one on Isaiah, and the second Puech Cave 4 Aramaic volume, and perhaps
      count a mentioned reedition of Allegro's pesharim by Brooke and Bernstein.

      And various archaeological reports from various digs are yet to appear.

      best
      Stephen Goranson

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
        > What popular book are you reading?

        I'm reading:
        "Jesus und die Schriftrollen von Qumran" ; [1947-1997, Jubil�umsband zur
        Entdeckung der Qumran-Rollen vor 50 Jahren] / Schick, Alexander. -
        Berneck : Schwengeler, 1997

        This is not a M.Baigent-R.Leigh-kind of book. The author gives the
        impression of having private contact with the members of the
        international team.
        He states that Prof Strugnell told him that there are three scrolls in
        the possession of someone (possibly oil sheiks, speculation) and that no
        scholar has yet seen them. One of these scrolls should be Enoch.
        And there are about 2000 fragments sold to a private collector in 1994.
        I'm no expert, are these the Shoyen fragments?

        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      • Stephen Goranson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004
          Wieland,
          The short answer is I don't know. I've heard of claims of additional scrolls,
          and would surely be interested, but have no direct knowledge. Schoyen has
          Qumran fragments, some once held by Kando apparently (plus there's Kando's
          son), but not, as far as I know, 2000. Besides Strugnell and Schoyen, two
          people who seem to be better informed about such things than most of us are
          Weston Fields and Matthew Hamilton.

          best,
          Stephen Goranson