Re: [textualcriticism] verifying info about a Bible typo

  • Harold P. Scanlin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2010
      It is, indeed true. I (used to) have a copy, but I can't find it right now. But I'll keep looking. Since I believe the error only occurred in the first printing of the British (Darton Longman and Todd) edition, it's hard to find.

      Harold P. Scanlin
      41 Waldheim Park
      Allentown, PA 18103
      harold.scanlin@...
      610-791-9146

      On 3/14/2010 11:12 AM, Jeff Cate wrote:

      I appreciate Wieland allowing me to post this even though this is not an issue of Greek mss. I've seen it mentioned on the internet frequently that supposedly the first edition (presumably the first printing only??) of the 1966 Jerusalem Bible had a typo in Psalm 122:6 by leaving out an "r" so that it read "pay" not "pray" for the peace of Jerusalem. I can't locate a print copy of the JB that shows such a typo nor any reliably published source to mention this.

      Of course, there's a good bit of erroneous info on the internet that has been copied and pasted so much that it appears as if it is unquestioned fact... claims that William Tyndale invented bifocals... an alleged NT canon list called Codex Barococcio from 206 AD (which was debunked on the tc-list)...

      Does anyone know anything about this alleged typo in the 1966 JB in Ps 122:6? Or is it just another internet urban legend?

      Thanks in advance,

      --Jeff Cate

      Diet Help
      Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.