Chrysostom, Against the Jews, homily 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2010

      From the ever busy Roger Pearse:

      "Ever since the eight sermons against the Jews by the 4th century writer John Chrysostom were published, men have noticed that sermon 2 is only a third of the length of the others, and speculated that some of it is missing.  The missing portion was discovered in a manuscript on Lesbos a decade ago and published [2001], but no English translation has ever been made of it.

      One now exists, and it is here:

      http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/chrysostom_adversus_judaeos_02_lost_portion.htm

      I commissioned it and own the copyright, but I make the translation public domain.  Do whatever you like with it, personal, educational or commercial.

      Now to communicate with the owners of copies of the Eight Sermons online, and try to persuade them to host the missing chunk as well!"

      ---------------------------------

      Spread the word!

      This is what he wrote yesterday:

      "We cannot be certain which copy of the text will be the ancestor of all the copies to reach the year 3,000 AD.  In so many cases, we know that a single copy ca. 800 AD is the ancestor of all our current copies of a text.  To fail to reunite the severed texts may be tantamount to wasting the rediscovery.

      Our duty to the future dictates that the effort must be made.  Once I have the final version, I will make that effort.  Not because I agree or disagree with the sites above; but because we cannot tell which of them may provide the future with the text of Chrysostom."

      Interesting thoughts!

      Which digital copy of your works will survive?

      mailto:wie@...

      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie

      Textcritical Commentary: