p46 and Colossians 1:23

  • knrice79
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12 6:21 AM
      NA27 reads KAI EDRAIOI KAI MH METAKINOUMENOI and notes p46-vid omits KAI.

      Link to P46:
      http://intf.uni-muenster.de/images_vmr/10046/10046_163_INTF.jpg

      Unfortunately this phrase is at the end of line 19 in the Mss and the right edge has deteriorated. What caught my attention was the beginning of the next line (line #20) which begins TOI.

      First, this is not a Greek ending I'm familiar with; a scribal mis-spelling maybe?

      Second, upon closer observation there does not appear to be enough room for the phrase given by NA27. I count 16 letters from the end of EDRAIOI (this assumes the last three letters of METAKINOUMENOI wrap around to line# 20). I estimate there is only room for about 9 letters based on the margins established above. If, however, KAI is omitted and METAKINOUMENOI lost the prefix META, it might just fit. But no other mss is recorded has having this reading (at least in NA27) and it does not account for the beginning of LINE 20.

      Anyone have an opinion?

      - Ken Rice
      A curious student.
    • Robert Relyea
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12 11:11 AM
        On 03/12/2010 06:21 AM, knrice79 wrote:
        > NA27 reads KAI EDRAIOI KAI MH METAKINOUMENOI and notes p46-vid omits KAI.
        >
        > Link to P46:
        > http://intf.uni-muenster.de/images_vmr/10046/10046_163_INTF.jpg
        >
        > Unfortunately this phrase is at the end of line 19 in the Mss and the right edge has deteriorated. What caught my attention was the beginning of the next line (line #20) which begins TOI.
        >
        > First, this is not a Greek ending I'm familiar with; a scribal mis-spelling maybe?
        >
        > Second, upon closer observation there does not appear to be enough room for the phrase given by NA27. I count 16 letters from the end of EDRAIOI (this assumes the last three letters of METAKINOUMENOI wrap around to line# 20). I estimate there is only room for about 9 letters based on the margins established above. If, however, KAI is omitted and METAKINOUMENOI lost the prefix META, it might just fit. But no other mss is recorded has having this reading (at least in NA27) and it does not account for the beginning of LINE 20.
        Kenyon reconstructed this line as:

        πιστει τεθεμελιωμενοι και ε[δρ]α.ι.ο.ι. μ[η μετακινη
        τοι απο ....

        This would change the participle into a noun (μετακινητος).

        bob